October 19, 2017, 06:46:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: angel      Molly      angel

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Need your help with dog drug/food experiences (PH6, Rimadyl, etc.)  (Read 5154 times)
Kelsey
Moderator Emeritus

« on: April 04, 2005, 09:53:33 PM »

Hi everyone.  I'm doing an independent study this semester on regulations in the pet food and drug industry.  I have to write a long paper at the end of this month, and if it's good, I could possibly get published!  (Not to mention pass!  Haha.)  What I'm hoping you guys could help me with are personal experiences, testimonies, and stories that will give my research a personal touch.  I'd like to put some information in about PH6, Rimadyl, and other drug and food experiences.  If it's not too much, I'd love to hear detailed stories about your experiences with these products, including any information that you found out as you went through your experience.  I know many people have lost their dogs or had their dogs hurt by some of these drugs, but I'm hoping that my research can help make the regulations better, so if you could share with me, it'd be great!  I won't put your names in the paper, but it'd be so helpful to put real experiences in there (if you can remember dates that things happened, that'd be even better).  What/when did your vet prescribe for your pup?  What was it prescribed for?  What warnings/information were you given about the drug before you gave it to your pet?  What results and side effects did you experience?  Did you share problems with your vet (and what was their response)?  Have you contacted the company?  Any other info you can think of would really help too.   THANKS!!!

Hogan: http://www.dogster.com/?124897    Jack: http://www.dogster.com/?124913

Ariana
Resident Froot Loop
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 10:10:11 PM »

I'm not of any help to you....just wanted to wish you GREAT success!

Dave
Administrator

It's Minnie!

dogaddicts
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 03:15:30 AM »

Good luck with this.  Any way we can help let us know.

Off the top of my head, we could put a link to this topic on the home page.  For example, I could add a Heading on either the left or right side  MEMBERS NEED HELP  or something like that.  Then we could put something like this sentence

I'm doing an independent study this semester on regulations in the pet food and drug industry

Then
What I'm hoping you guys could help me with are personal experiences, testimonies, and stories that will give my research a personal touch.

Then click here for more...

with a link to this thread.

Just a thought.  You will probably get a lot of response here anyway.

Dave

"Well, experience has taught me that Terri is Terri and Dave is Dave
except for those really numerous threads where Terri is actually Dave or Dave is really Terri." Grin --pos
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 04:47:16 AM »

Kelsey,

I have a personal experience with proheart 6.  Here's a link to Molly's story which is on the adverse reactions drug site.  There's a lot of good information on there.

Here's her story.  As of today she is 88 days seizure free!!  She is on phenobarb though.  I'm one of the lucky ones,  Molly survived.

http://www.dogsadversereactions.com/moxidectin/survivor5.html#molly

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
Kelsey
Moderator Emeritus

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 02:41:32 PM »

Thanks, Jan!  I really appreciate it!

Dave, do you think we could do something like that?  I know there are more folks on here with stories...I just can't remember who!  hand

Mary [deryni]
Global Moderator

Rikku - aka Funk Bird

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 04:05:25 PM »

Do you want only negative reactions?
Kelsey
Moderator Emeritus

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 04:35:49 PM »

No, positive would help too.  I want to give both sides.  The drugs help a lot of dogs too, it's just that the negative ones are the stories that tend to spur reform.  Know what I mean? 

Dave
Administrator

It's Minnie!

dogaddicts
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 06:01:02 PM »

Ok Kelsey,

look at the home page, on the left.  I just got back in, so I did it right away.  Everyone will be directed to this thread.

Dave

except for those really numerous threads where Terri is actually Dave or Dave is really Terri." Grin --pos
Kelsey
Moderator Emeritus

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2005, 07:42:17 AM »

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!  blushthanks    dancydog

Dave
Administrator

It's Minnie!

dogaddicts
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2005, 12:11:12 PM »

Kelsey,

Are you getting anything?

Dave

Kelsey
Moderator Emeritus

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2005, 12:24:19 PM »

Unfortunately not.  I can work Molly's story in, but I guess without more responses, that'll have to be it.  Meanwhile, I'm checking other websites for stories/experiences that have already been posted.  I just prefer knowing the people/dog so that I can follow up if necessary.

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2005, 12:56:46 PM »

Kelsey,

Did you check out that website that molly's story is on?  there's lots of stories there~ most of them heartbreaking .  I belong to the adverse reaction yahoo board and I know the people who posted the stories there.

If you need anymore information about molly and how she is doing now i'd be happy to provide more info.  As of now she is 95 days seizure free!  She is still on phenobarb which we upped a few month's back.  She takes one tablet 60 mg pheno in the morning and one tablet 60 mg in the evenings.  Of course being on pheno she has to have her blood checked every few month's so as to make sure there is no  liver damage.  The longer she is on the pheno the better the chances are that liver damage could occur.

The hardest part of this whole seizure thing is that it could have been prevented if only i didn't allow her to have the ph6 shot.  I trusted my vet~ i will never go on blind faith again.  That guilt weigh's heavily on me.

another hard thing for me to deal with is that even though this medicine was taken off the market in september 2004 my vet STILL refuses to say that this medicine caused her seizures or that the medicine is dangerous. bang your head

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
thedoc617
puppy

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2005, 05:20:08 PM »

my old dog died from the proheart6 vaccine: her story is listed at the same site:

http://www.dogsadversereactions.com/moxidectin/memorial18.html#candy

With most of these dogs, they go downhill so quickly. We never really got to say goodbye. One day she was happy and perky, the next morning she was seizing and comatose. We learned that you must take every day as if it would be your last.
Laura

3 goldens
Dog Addict!

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2005, 10:52:45 AM »

I lost my 4 year old Golden Retriever to ProHeart6.  Hunter turned 4 on Aug. 19, 1003 and got his 3rd ProHeart6 injection on Aug. 28.  On Thursday Oct. 9 I was checking teeth of our 4 goldens and I saw Hunter's gums were pale.  Called and set up appointment to bring him in to vet in a couple of hours.  A short time later his littermate sister, KayCee did business just off the patio, and Hunter went in same spot instead of going to back fence as usual.  I saw his urine was rusty colored. Just before going to vet I took him for short walk and collected a "sample" in small jar.

When we got to the vet he was running temp about 2 degrees above normal, and had also lost 9 pounds in the 5 weeks since he got the ProHeart6 injection.  My vet said he would need to keep Hunter to run tests on him, so I left him there.  Later in the afternoon he called to say Hunter had Autoimmune Hemolytic Anemia, something I had never heard of.  He said for me to come by later to see Hunter (would need to keep him for a few days) and we would talk about treatments, etc.

I went to the library and looked up AIHA and was very discouraged.  What I read said 50% of all dogs die within a week of being diagnosed, another 30% within a month.  It gave the standard treatments, etc.  When I went to the hospital late that afternoon, my vet and I went over everything in the previous two months--the only thing different was the PH6--and he said "When it comes time for his next proheart injection, we are going back to the monthly pills."

On Friday I visited him 3 times and took boiled chicken each time, which he gobbled.  His neck had been shaved for blood withdrawl twice a day, his front legs had large shaved areas for IV which he was on round the clock.  I went to visit him early Saturday morning and again just before they closed at noon.  It was arranged for me to come visit him at 6:00 when the kennel workers, techs were there for feeding and meds, and also to come at 8:00 AM and 6:00PM on Sunday.  I got to take him outside to do his business Saturday and spend time with him out of his cage.  Same thing Sunday morning.

Then in the middle of the afternoon on Sunday i got a call from me vet.  He had been called in for emergency surgery on a dog's eye and had done early blood tests on Hunter.  His HCT (normally high 40's to low 50's) was 9.7.  He should have been dead when it went below 11.  They had given him 2 units of blood and he was thinking about removing Hunter's very enlarged spleen--it was killing more red cells than it could get rid of.  But in the 15 minutes it took me to get there, he had changed his mind about the surgery.  They had run x-rays and ultrasound and the pictures showed Hunter had cancer of the liver and spleen.

I was in 3 times on Monday, Tuesday and Wed.  By Wed. we knew the prednisone and other drugs were not working and it was decided to go the next step to cyclosporine which is used in chemo and also for organ transplant  patients.  He had enough on hand for a dose that afternoon, but had ordered more from the drug store up the road.  They were to call me when it was ready the next morning.  I didn't go see Hunter at 8:00 as I was waiting on the call.  It came about 11:00, I went and picked up the drug and went straight to the hospital.

Hunter looked bad.  His eyes were sunken in and even his temple seemd sunken in and his head seemed to actually be pointed.  It was noted on his chart that he had been throwing up, which was expected.  For the first time he refused his boiled chicken.  When I went back at 5:45 my heart sank.  That dog in that cage could not be my Hunter. I got gotten use to the shaved throat, shaved front legs, grossly bloated belly, but this dog, well he sat there with his eyes twitching, unable to focus, his head bobbing up and down, any movement was all herky-jerky.  I opened the door and sat down and started brushing him.  he put his head to my chest and that steadied him some.  I knew in my heart he would be gone before morning.  I just sat there brushing him, hugging him, kissing his head, telling him how beautiful he was, how wonderful, what a good boy he was, and most of all how much I loved him.  Each time I knew my voice was going to break, I hushed and just hugged and brushed him.

They close at 7:00, but the receptionists said take as long as I wanted.  I think they knew he was dying.  Three times i went to the front, and 3 times I went back to tell him again how much I loved him.  I finally left at 7:15.  At 9:02 I got the call from my vet.  Hunter had gone into seizures and died at 8:40.   Becuase the x-rays and ultrasound showed cancer of liver and spleen, and we have his littermate sister, it was decided to do necropsy to learn as much as we could about the cancer.  Tissue samples was sent to state lab.  BUT when the histopath report came back, there was NO CANCER.

I went looking for answers on the web and started finding others who lost their dogs following ProHeart6--and the VERY FIRST TWO I found lost theirs to AIHA.  In fact, one had even lost a 2ed dog to liver cancer and her 3rd dog will be on meds the rest of his life.  sI got information on reporting to the FDA and to CAPS.  I wrote Fort Dodge, the maker of PH6.  In fact I wrote them about every 3 weeks.  Fort Dodge requested a complete record of Hunter's medical and I gave my vet permission to send it.

As time went on I found more and more who lost or almost their dogs to PH6.  I even found some in my little town--4 others to be exact.  Fort Dodge ignored all my letters.  I let them know I knew PH6 had killed my Hunter.  I had seen copies of the letters they sent to vets up dating their warnings and saw AIHA was one of the ractions listed.  On the day my Hunter got his 3rd and fatal injection, they had written the first letter mentioning death.

Finally in Feb. 2004 I think it was, I sent them a copy of $2300 vet bill.  They did respond to that letter.  They wrote me a letter, but sent it to my vet and he was to decide if they should send it to me or not.  However, he called and told me to come and pick up a copy.  I did.  I didn't read it until I got home and then I blew a gasket.  They said there was no scientific evidence that ProHeart6 had caused Hunter's death.  HOWEVER sometimes they do pay a portion of a bill to "help out with unexpected expenses" and offered to pay the $1049.71 diagnostic part of the bill.  HOWEVER, I would have a sign a release saying their product was in now way at fault for Hunter's death, and that I would never discusss or reveal any data, facts, information, discovery, terms of the agreement, with any person or entity under any circumstance.  I stormed back to my vets in tears and told him Fort Dodge could shove their money.  They were not going to buy me off.  I knew PH6 had killed my Hunter and I had to warn others.

I wrote them and told them i wanted to see scientific evidence that ProHeart6 DID NOT kill my Hunter.  With each letter I wrote I added more information I had found, etc.  Then i found about the FDA warnings about contamination in their animal med plant.  It mention previous warnings and one was about a pain killer, EtoGesia (or something like that) and it gave the date.  It so happens KayCee had been on that following knee surgery AT THE TIME of the recall.  I still had the bottle to prove it.  AND there was a recall of Proheart6 (two batches) that had been distributed in July before Hunter got his fatal injection Aug. 28.  SO I wrote Fort Dodge and told them I knew all about this and how did I know Hunter had not recieved bad PH6, and how did I know the pills KayCee had been on were not up to standard?  Next thing i know, they are paying the $1049.71 PLUS making a generous donation to Texas A&M vet school.  AND I DID NOT HAVE TO SIGN A RELEASE.  In the letter they said they while they did not know what caused Hunter to develop0 AIHA and die, it was true that certain vaccines and meds were known to caused AIHA.  I know in my heart they know ProHeart6 killed my precious boy.  Just as it killed Myra's Duker, Sue's Bandit, Jean's Tasha and Niki, Stacy's Precious, Kim R.'s Vito, Kim w.'s Cheif, Kristen's Ozzy, etc, etc.

For more stories, check out www.dogsadversereactions.com.  Go to the Moxidectin section and then click on Memorials.  My Hunter's picture is there, along with his littermate sister, KayCee and our adopted golden mix, Honey.  KayCee had gotten her lst PH6 injection on Aug. 1, 2003, Hunter got his 3rd on Aug. 28, and Honey got her 2ed on Oct. 1.  Hunter was diagnosed with AIHA on Oct. 9 and died on Oct. 16.  We had never put our older golden, Buck on it.  I really had to sweat out the months until KayCee and Honey had it out of their system.  Laurryn put their pictures on the site because we didn't know if they would end up with a reaction or not and I was so worried.  Also, she was jsut getting the site started and wanted pictures.

And if you would like you can read the story of how Hunter lived and see him grow up at a memorial done by memeber of another board after reading the story.  It is http://mikeandjordan.com/hunter.htm

I tell the story of his death to warn others, but i like for him to be remembered for the special boy he was, my soul mate of dogs. ProHeart6 is off the market now, but they are trying to get it back.  So I keep telling the story so people can keep heads up.  Hope this helps you.

God created dogs and then when He perfected them, He created goldens.

Hunter...forever in my heart
Dave
Administrator

It's Minnie!

dogaddicts
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2005, 11:12:04 AM »

Thanks for sharing that.  I could barely make it through.

Your site for Hunter is great.  Everybody should see that.

Dave

3 goldens
Dog Addict!

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2005, 11:58:40 AM »

Thank you.  It is still so hard for me to write that story of his death, but it has been my mission for over 18 months now to try to save as many dogs as possible from a death like his.  And deaths like so many others had due to liver damage, seizures, etc.  I will tell one more horror story.  It is about a 7 year old border collie mix named Bandit.  He lived in WI.  He got his 4th ProHeart6 injection and 10 hours later went into seizures--for the first time in his life.  He was rushed to the emergency, but the only way the vet could stop the seizres was to totally knock Bandit out.  And then 36 hours after the PH6 injection, Bandit was dead.  Due to the fact he had never had a seizure in his 7 years, the emergency vet decided he had to be checked for rabies.  His owner had not idea what that meant.  She was horrified to learn it meant cutting her precious Bandit's head off.  She still has nightmares about that.  We think of Hunter and Bandit as being forever together.  They both died on Oct. 16, 2003, Hunter in Tx, Bandit in WI, Hunter after his 3rd PH6 injection, Bandit after his 4th.  Both were very much loved, both had been healthy as could be until the fatal injection, and both ended up mutilated, Hunter thru mecropsy, Bandit thru having head removed for rabies test.  And as usual, Fort Dodge denied that PH6 had caused Bandit's death.  As a matter of fact, I have not found one person who was told by Fort Dodge "I am sorry our product did kill your dog."

Kelsey
Moderator Emeritus

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2005, 01:41:21 PM »

Thank you all SO much for sharing.  I know it's so hard to talk about.  I only hope that more awareness can lead to prevention of these kind of awful things in the future.  I just can't stand knowing that companies do this kind of thing to our animals (our best friends) and then think they can blow it off and/or continue to do it.  It's beyond wrong.  If I do end up going into a legal career, it will be only because I want to better the protection that our pets get.  So, thank you again.

Mechele
Inactive Member

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2005, 04:52:11 PM »

Thank you so much Sandra for coming and sharing Hunter's story
I knew I could count on you  }${ I knew that everyone here needed
to hear this story  blushthanks Thanks again and I hope that you will come
back and enjoy the site  wink2
Mechele

Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly,
kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably.
And never regret anything that made you smile.
Nancy Adams
Dog Addict!

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2005, 05:10:52 PM »

Sandra posted a very well written post about what one person can do, if they stick to it.  I am so sorry for all the dogs who have needlessly died.

All I have to add is about Rimidyl.  Gunnar was dialgnosed with probable cancer, and deteriorated quickly.  I was going to take him to the vet to be put down on a Monday, but it was pouring rain, so I asked for pain pills to make him comfortable till the weather cleared.  They gave him Rimidyl, which made a complete turn-around in him.  He got his appetite back, became playful, was just like his old self, but a weaker version.  It gave us one wonderful week before he passed away the following Monday.  I've heard of long term implications about complications with the liver, etc., but for short term pain, it worked wonderfully for my boy.

Good luck with your research.
SarahM
Dog Addict!

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2005, 06:25:35 PM »

Oh I don't remember dates! Doh. Logan got a PH6 injection . . . last March maybe. I walked into the vets office and said "Hey, what about that shot so I don't have to remember a monthly heartworm pill?" And they said sure! Here ya go! About 4 months later, I got the notice of the PH6 recall and I don't recall that it said anything about the negative effects, and I was simply upset that perhaps it wasn't effective and that Logan might get heartworm. In September, we went to Interceptor. Thankfully, Logan didn't have any negative side effects - I didn't even realize there were any until I started going to I-dog. I am so sad for everyone who's dog got sick or died from the shot and I am so so so relieved that Logan is okay. I will think much more carefully about things from now on.

On a side note, someone at the Millbrook Banfield told my Assistant Manager at the PetsHotel that PH6 was recalled due to the occasional "injection site reaction resulting in hair loss." When I told my A.M. she was shocked - she had no idea and she couldn't believe that this twitty girl lied to her.

Good luck Kelsey!

~ Rider: www.dogster.com/?127087 ~ Logan: www.dogster.com/?113178 ~

"Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own." - Lloyd Biggle, Jr.
3 goldens
Dog Addict!

« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2005, 11:16:47 AM »

I wish I kept copies of all the e-mails I have recieved with stories about dogs and reactions to PH6.  It never occured to me at the time to download copies.  One guy wrote that he had taken his 2 labs, age 6 and 7 in at the same time for PH6 injections.  Three months later one was dead due to liver disease, the other had a badly damaged liver, but would live.  One wrote and asked how I got Fort Dodge to pay part of my bill.  Her dog had also developed AIHA, survived, but had had a couple of relapses. Their vet bill had already hit  over $10,000 --and I have since learned he had another relapse in Feb and spent 2 weeks in the hospital.  One wrote about losing their English Setter, etc, etc.  I encouraged each of them to file with the FDA, Caps, etc.

And Fort Dodge is so inconsistant in paying all/part/none of a bill.  One couple had a vet bill of $4500 and Fort Dodge would pay the entire thing if they signed the release...even tho they said PH6 didn't cause the dog's death.  The couple refused, and FD didn't pay a penny.  Another couple co-own a Champion Italian Greyhoud that can never be shown again because they never now when he will have a "spell".  Even tho this is an on going expense for them, FD will not pay a penny because the dog "didn't die."  Fort Dodge paid the entire bill for a standard poodle in Oklahoma even tho they said PH6 wasn't the cause of VooDoo's death.  And in Canada they not only paid the entire bill for a dog that (according to the necropsy THEY preformed, died of heart tumor) but also paid for cremation.  In my case, they were willing to pay athe diagnositic part ($1049.17) of Hunter's bill IF I SIGNED THE RELEASE lips sealed BUT I wouldn't do that and after letting them know what all I knew, they did pay without me having to sign. banana wave  This way i was able to at least get some of the bill paid, but didn't have to zip my lip....would have never taken the money if I had had to sign the release to get it.   

Actually my family was very worried about me because I was spending most of my time telling Hunter's story on every site i could, running off a short story of his death and listing sites to go to to check out PH6 and then carrying them around with me to hand out.  Even had hubby putting them up on boards in terminals, truck stops, etc.  I even lost 40 pounds (which was great--I had put that weight on when I quit smoking--last cigarette was June 30, 1999)  They said I was obsessed and I guess I was.  But none of them saw Hunter the way i did.  They were not reading the stories I was reading about horrible deaths due to PH6, and ones like Jan whose Molly survived, but was having seizures and poor jan was worried sick.   There was no way I could sit back and do nothing.  I had to try to save as many dogs as I could, and I know you dog lovers here understand that.   My family said I was wasting my time writing to Fort dodge.

However, after Fort dodge did pay what they paid, and then after PH6 was pulled last Sept, my family agreed that it was people who didn't give up, who told and retold and retold their dogs' stories, ones that set up sites so others could read about it and get others to report their dogs' reactions---well, it paid off.

Malnmutt
Staff Writer

Cash, LT and Soda too!

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2005, 11:44:49 PM »

Here's mine, I don't know how useful it will be.

Our dog Abbigale (a bassett hound) ate Old Roy. (I know, but we didn't know) and thee was a batch that had used corn that had a mold in it. This is a very bad mold and we suspect that it killed Abby because she went down hill SO fast (two days) and maybe a week later in the paper the company posted about the recall and her food was in the batch. They apologized for any fatalities it may have caused. Sad However, we never got a necropsy (autopsy?) done, so we can't say for sure that's what killed Abby, but... It's suspicious.

On Rimadyl: LT was in heat when she had her spay and seemed to be having quite a time with the pain and the rimadyl really helped her recover comforatably. It was only for a couple of days, so I wasn't too worried about long lasting effects and her comfort greatly outweighed the small risks.

(and Soda too!)
If you want to view paradise simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it. Wanna change the world? There's nothing to it. There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there you'll be free if you truly wish to be.
SarahM
Dog Addict!

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2005, 07:16:55 AM »

3goldens Sad for you and Hunter. But I think that if you were going to be obsessed about something, then using that obsession to educate the public is a great thing to do. You were upset and you didn't want it to happen to others - I think you did a great thing!

~ Rider: www.dogster.com/?127087 ~ Logan: www.dogster.com/?113178 ~

"Life is life's greatest gift. Guard the life of another creature as you would your own because it is your own." - Lloyd Biggle, Jr.
Kelsey
Moderator Emeritus

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2005, 08:40:53 AM »

Paige, I'm so sorry to hear about what happened to Abby.  Damned Ol' Roy!  enraged

Thanks again for all the stories.  My paper will be finished probably in the end of May, so I'll be sure to let you know how it turns out...

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2005, 08:49:28 AM »

Do you want experiences with specific branded products? Is brand name what counts here?

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster