December 15, 2018, 01:19:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: xmasscene

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ever feed steak?  (Read 1907 times)
iloveshepherds
Dog Addict!

« on: March 18, 2008, 08:00:01 AM »

Its going to be Dakota's birthday on April 1st and I want to buy them both a big juicy steak...and feed it raw.
What steak is ok? maybe one with a bone for an extra treat?

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 08:32:10 AM »

Ah, this question has Layne's name written all over it! I say do it, but I know nothing about cuts of steak!

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 10:09:15 PM »

You want some cut of chuck. Chuck is tough which means they get to get some chewing action in which dogs love. Because it's so tough and the meat worked a lot, it has a lot of flavor. The steaks we humans like are great because they are tender but tender meat has less flavor. Steaks are cut from roasts and roasts from primal sections. The more you process a cut of meat the more expensive it gets. That's why I buy roasts and cut my own steaks out of them.

If you're dogs are not used to bones, it might cause problems. Bones can cause tummy troubles for dogs who don't eat raw bone regularly.  And raw bones can be much harder than most chews dogs today encounter which could result in a cracked tooth. If your dogs have had raw bone experience, and you can find them, a bone in brisket might be good.............but finding those is really rare.

I would buy a nice big chuck roast or seven bone roast and remove the bone yourself. Too much fat might cause diarrhea. I would look for one with slight to medium marbling. Your dogs will love it. If you can find them this late in the season, I would follow with a really large femur bone so your pooch babies can gnaw after eating.

Since you're only going to feed this for one meal, you don't need to worry about balancing out calcium and phosphorus.

So, go chuck. It's less expensive, easily sourced, has great flavor, and fun to chew.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 11:30:19 PM »

I want some steak.  After your dogs get theirs, I will take mine cooked.  Okay? Cheesy
I actually never thought about getting a roast and steaking it out.  That is a good idea for us human meat eaters too.
iloveshepherds
Dog Addict!

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 07:38:05 AM »

Thanks Layne! Im going to the grocery store this weekened and see what they have.  and Janet, I dont think there will be any left overs...LOL...but if there is, I will bring them over.  wink2

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 02:37:21 PM »

Maybe the steaks will be on sale and you can by extra for leftovers. Grin rotfl
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 02:41:04 PM »

I'll take mine medium well please  Grin

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
iloveshepherds
Dog Addict!

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 09:13:37 AM »

anyone else want to order? Ill throw them on the grill...make some potatoes....mmm...and beer.  campfire

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 05:49:23 PM »

Are they steaks and potatoes done yet?
iloveshepherds
Dog Addict!

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 05:53:17 PM »

I have to dig my grill out from the foot of snow...should be done by tomorrow.   wink2

Doc Stan
Dog Addict!

Born alone, Live alone, And die alone..

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 06:16:05 PM »

I have 3 rotties and they get steak pretty regularly. Filet mignon[?] T-bone ,Sirloin, Hamburger and sometimes
ostrich and gator tail .  It may sound like a joke but I have a friend in the food salvage business and sometimes he is
loaded with frozen meats that is too far out of date to sell. He gives some of it to me for the crew.   But there ain't
no telling what he will have from one time to the next.   Kaya[daddy's little girl] and Mauser will eat it all .   But
Chopper has to have his beef cooked.  Just a little cooked or a lot, no difference. but not raw.   Strange. 
I bought a quarter ton of chicken leg quarters last week to grind and to freeze as is.  That boy that works in the food lion  meat department didn't even bat an eye whenI told  him I wanted 500 pounds of quarters.  he just told me to pull around back.  When I got there he was there with it on a pallet jack.We were talking about it as we were loading it up and he seemed surprised That I was feeding raw.  I told him like I was told..   When your ancestors
killed a fox or a wolf or a dog for that matter on the farm , it was for killing calves or chickens or other farm
animals, NOT for raiding the corncrib or munchin  ' down on the watermelons or molesting the wheat field..
   When I grind meat for them I grind bone and all.    Cooked bone is a no-no.     Doc.. blah blah

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

"Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster