October 17, 2017, 09:04:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: angel      Molly      angel

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: L.A. Dog Abuse  (Read 7403 times)
Dave
Administrator

It's Minnie!

dogaddicts
« on: February 12, 2008, 06:02:56 AM »

The No Kill Advocacy Center filed a lawsuit against Los Angeles County, its Department of Animal Care and Control, and the Department's Director, Marcia Mayeda. The lawsuit alleges unlawful and abusive treatment of animals at all six Los Angeles County animal shelters.

The complaint, (WARNING: GRAPHIC PICTURES INCLUDED) which is 29 pages long (PDF), includes a number of allegations of against the department, including:

• Kills healthy and treatable animals before their state mandated holding period expires;
  • Misclassifies animals as "ill" or "injured" in order to kill them before their holding period expires even though the animals are not irremediably suffering as required by state law;
  • Kills lost animals without making reasonable attempts to find the animals' owners;
  • Fails to provide adequate veterinary care to impounded animals, resulting in animal deaths;
  • Fails to provide adequate nutrition, water, shelter and exercise to impounded animals and to treat the animals humanely and kindly;
  • Refuses to release animals to rescue groups that are willing to care for the animals until adoptive homes can be found and, instead, kills the animals.

I put this on the homepage, and I also have a seperate page for this story.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 07:10:06 AM by Dave » Logged

"Well, experience has taught me that Terri is Terri and Dave is Dave
except for those really numerous threads where Terri is actually Dave or Dave is really Terri." Grin --pos
mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 09:08:57 AM »

I hear horror stories about the south LA shelter all the time. Mainly about them not rotating animals into the "adoptables" area, and if they're sick, they just throw them in a kennel in the back to die.

They're just SO far away, and there are so many animals in between....................

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
iloveshepherds
Dog Addict!

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 09:12:04 AM »

How can anyone be so cruel? What kind of people do they employ!!! animal abusers?!?!??!

A.J.
Staff Moderator

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 10:26:21 AM »

These aren't people and we can't say they're animals!   enraged enraged enraged 

I don't understand and never will!  crying crying crying

God, help me to be the kind of person that my dog thinks I am."
www.shoptoearn.net/aj12
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 11:23:24 AM »

That's horrible!

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 11:51:29 PM »

I could not read the whole story.  I did not want to deal with the heartache at this time.  I am hoping the publicity will make LA take responsibilty for their actions and be more reasonable about HUMANE care for the animals.
Bastards! enraged enraged enraged
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2008, 05:42:54 AM »

I couldn't read it all either.  My imagination fills it in.

If this is known about and has been known about for some time~~~~ why does it continue?    enraged

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2008, 03:27:12 PM »

Maybe we should write to their governer huh?
LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 04:06:53 PM »

I do hope this suit brings about some necessary change.  Sadly, it doesn't do anything for the animals that have already suffered and/or needlessly lost their lives.

It is a sad reality, the amount of misconduct, abuse, etc. that goes on in numerous shelters, not just the shelters in L.A.  Sadly, many states and cities do not make these issues a priority.  We can only hope this suit hits the media spotlight, at least enough to enlighten more people of the seriousness of the issues within the shelters.

There are obviously some shelters in our country that have a far better track record, but, I think many of us would be mortified at what goes on in a lot of shelters. 

It's a sad, shameful situation that needs to be changed, and there is no reason why it can't be changed.

The defendants in this particular suit should be more than ashamed of their actions, and lack thereof when it came to providing adequate care for these innocent beings in their care.  Numerous innocent lives have been taken, and too much needless suffering has gone on.  They do need to be held accountable for their actions, and an example needs to made.

When a human being willingly participates in any of these cruel acts to innocent animals, it truly speaks volumes about the person. 

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2008, 04:16:29 PM »

clapping Well said, Gail.

ava
Howls at the Moon!

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2008, 08:26:55 PM »

How can anyone be so cruel? What kind of people do they employ!!! animal abusers?!?!??!
I could only imagine they hire PETA, to me there is no other
explanation than something like that. These people they have
working for them just do not care. I hope to be able to follow
this case and see the outcome.

Ava, Bandit and Gracie
from the desert of arizona
where the wind blows and
the tumbleweeds roll
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 01:41:14 PM »

Definitely well said Gail.  Thankfully there are many people out there who truly love animals and understand their right to live too.  I surely hope the publicity causes change for the better for the animals.  You are so right, there is no reason it cannot happen.
Doc Stan
Dog Addict!

Born alone, Live alone, And die alone..

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 01:55:01 PM »

These people will go as far as we let them. The only way to stop them is to grab them and pull them
out from under the rock they hide under and expose them to the light of day. Like a slug.  The light
will have them trying to hide under a bigger rock.  That is what U are doing to them when U put them up for inspection with the media.  they run like ants under a boot.    Doc.............. hand

It's called no balls...
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 01:56:32 PM by Doc Stan » Logged

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

"Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 03:07:09 PM »

Than we will have to send them all valentines cards and share our love.  They feel our love, come out to share and we stomp them.
Doc Stan
Dog Addict!

Born alone, Live alone, And die alone..

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 04:14:14 PM »

Good Thinking..  Doc.. clapping big hug

“He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

"Men have forgotten this truth," said the fox. "But you must not forget it. You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed." ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Malnmutt
Staff Writer

Cash, LT and Soda too!

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2008, 08:02:15 PM »

I have mixed feelings about this and if anyone cares to PM me about it, I'll gladly expound on it. It's a public forum however, so I cannot do so here. But I have a lot of opinions on it. A LOT.

(and Soda too!)
If you want to view paradise simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it. Wanna change the world? There's nothing to it. There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there you'll be free if you truly wish to be.
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2008, 08:41:25 PM »

Dave here:

Please feel free to share your thoughts here.  We are not one-sided, this is an open forum and if there are things we should consider that we have not, we all would benefit from an exchange of ideas.

Dave

Malnmutt
Staff Writer

Cash, LT and Soda too!

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2008, 12:52:26 AM »

Heh, no it's not that. I know some folks involved and they are involved in my shelter as well.

But thank you for reassuring me that ya'll are cool. Which I totally already knew. Smiley

(and Soda too!)
If you want to view paradise simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it. Wanna change the world? There's nothing to it. There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there you'll be free if you truly wish to be.
beckybaker
Dog Addict!

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2008, 01:28:28 PM »

We got Cooper from the West Valley shelter in LA. How scary.

Hope for Natalee Holloway, STILL missing in Aruba.
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2008, 11:44:47 PM »

Ya know there are many shelters that are less than ideal for animals, not just the LA shelter.  I am just hoping the publicity will make shelters take more humane measures.
I know before the AC shelter here was granted some money to remodel and improve, they PTS many more animals a lot sooner than they do now.  They had the reputation of being animal killers for a long long time.  They still have the reputation, they are still not the ideal shelter for animals, but they are a lot better than they use to be.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster