February 24, 2020, 06:30:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Poll
Question: How often do you loose your cool and raise your voice at your dog? (During training sessions!)  (Voting closed: December 11, 2007, 09:31:28 PM)
NEVER! - 6 (100%)
Maybe 10% - 0 (0%)
Maybe 25% - 0 (0%)
Maybe 50% - 0 (0%)
All the freakin time! My dogs a numbskull! - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 5

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For the clicker or positive reinforcement trainers.  (Read 1979 times)
Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« on: November 11, 2007, 05:23:03 PM »

So I've complained about this particular trainer a million time to the store that she works in... Every time I go in she is SCREECHING at the dogs in her class. I dropped her class a LONG time ago and have refused to use or recommend this store and trainer to anyone. And I tell people not to use her actively!

So today she was being particularly vicious and I complained in person to the GM. I was told I obviously didn't know how to clicker train because thats the appropriate way to do it...  huh?

Now, I admit I do screech at my dogs! With a pack of them I occasionally feel the need to in order to break up fights or get their attention! Try stopping FIVE zooming dogs!  Roll Eyes But when training I don't raise my voice at them. If they frustrate me I give them a command I KNOW they know tell them they were good and walk away.

Life is sweeter with a six pack!

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2007, 08:17:26 PM »

I don't think a trainer should be screeching at dogs!

I don't screech.. it's more of a low growly mean voice...  blush
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 08:51:30 PM »

Your poll is confusing for me. I don't scream at my dogs but there is a very big difference in my "good dog I love you" voice and my "don't steal from my plate voice." My "scolding" voice is very different from my normal speech. 

When I am using my clicker, I speak in a completely normal voice. I let the clicker "mark" the behavior not my voice or my emotional state.

I would think a trainer who screams at a dog has admitted that she or he has lost control of the situation.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2007, 09:02:38 PM »

The poll is for strictly when training! How often do you lose your cool and raise your voice at your dog when training!

People tell me all the time I have the patience of a saint when it comes to the dogs and realistically they frustrate the crap out of me all the time... it's just instead of raising my voice I end it on a happy note and walk away.

I meant I do yell at them generically to silence them when company shows up (just to be heard over the chaos!) or to stop the zooming dogs when they get going in the house! But never during a training session. I basically want an honest answer from everyone on how their training sessions are. Because I don't think Im that patient and I think that trainer is a NUT!

I fixed the wording so it would be less ambiguous.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 09:05:09 PM by Hill » Logged

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2007, 09:15:22 PM »

ok then.. I wish to change my vote.

I don't yell or scream during training. But when she is being a butthead....
I have found that a time-out works wonders. (she even knows when I say do you want a time-out?) she'll go lay down and be nice.
A.J.
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2007, 09:16:58 PM »

"NEVER" is my answer!  I might have to raise my voice at other times, but I'm really patient during training!   woof
Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007, 09:32:28 PM »

ok then.. I wish to change my vote.

I don't yell or scream during training. But when she is being a butthead....
I have found that a time-out works wonders. (she even knows when I say do you want a time-out?) she'll go lay down and be nice.

I re set the vote since you wanted to change your vote and my wording was previously ambiguous!

I'm still REALLY irritated by that "trainer"!

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007, 10:32:26 PM »

yeah.. I'd  fishslap that trainer.
LoveMy2
Dog Addict!

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2007, 08:04:02 PM »

We do not do a lot of training per se but the little we do should be a cooperative and fun time for them. Yelling would be counter-productive.

Even out of training, I can honestly say that we do not yell at the dogs; raising our voices and using certain tones of voice, yes; angrily schreeching no. I can recall only one time where we raised our voices at each other in the last 5 years (because of a stupid misunderstanding) and Spip started barking at our faces (which made us quiet down quite quickly, good job Spip).

She is so little used to angry loud voices that she will bark if she hears it close by. The neighbor's kids can yell, run, scream, play, no problem but if they start really arguing angrily or if their mom gets to them with a certain tone of voice, she barks. She would not do well being shouted at, that would close her down completely I think.

Flem GR DOB 04/24/04 - Nathalie - Spip YL DOB 05/18/02
Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2007, 09:14:11 PM »

So we've got six nevers and one crazy trainer squealing at the poor dogs in the training class!

I called the GM for the store here in SA! I want that crazy chick beaten errr... fired would suffice!  rotfl

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2007, 09:18:59 PM »

Got a camera phone? 

If nothing is done, I suggest taking video of her and sending it around.
 hmmmm YouTube comes to mind. Evil
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster