October 19, 2017, 06:50:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: angel      Molly      angel

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pet food recall has animal owners frantic  (Read 4633 times)
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« on: March 17, 2007, 11:28:13 PM »

Updated: 6:29 p.m. CT March 17, 2007

UNION, N.J. - Pet owners were worried Saturday that the pet food in their cupboards could be deadly after millions of containers of dog and cat food sold at major retailers across North America were recalled.

Menu Foods, the Ontario-based company that produced the pet food, said Saturday it was recalling dog food sold under 48 brands and cat food sold under 40 brands including Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba. The food was distributed throughout the United States, Canada and Mexico by major retailers such as Wal-Mart, Kroger and Safeway.

An unknown number of cats and dogs had suffered kidney failure and about 10 died after eating the affected pet food, the company said.

STORY

LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 05:44:55 AM »

Such a scary shame. 

"Wheat gluten is a source of protein."   hand

I *think* it was on Good Morning America - they were talking about this recall and advised pet owners to buy foods without grain, corn, wheal gluten, etc.   

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 05:48:27 AM »

My husband also heard that Iams was involved too.

I have yet to see the story on the news.

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
myspoileddogs
Howls at the Moon!

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 09:54:45 AM »

Nutro Max and Nutro Natural Balance foods were also involved.  They are one of the better brands carried at petmsart and petco's.   I don't feed this to my dogs but I had some natural balance donated so I am feeding it to my foster kitty! 

Be careful to read over the list to ensure your food isn't on there!
Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 12:10:39 PM »

Just a clarification--it is Nutro Natural Choice that is on the recall list. Natural Balance is not made by Nutro.

Malnmutt
Staff Writer

Cash, LT and Soda too!

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2007, 02:14:12 PM »

Science Diet recalled some food too.

(and Soda too!)
If you want to view paradise simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it. Wanna change the world? There's nothing to it. There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there you'll be free if you truly wish to be.
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2007, 02:25:28 PM »

Do you have anymore information on the SD, Paige?

LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2007, 04:01:23 PM »

Hill’s is voluntarily recalling the following products:

1. Science DietŪ Kitten Savory CutsŪ Ocean Fish 3 oz. and 5.5 oz.
2. Science DietŪ Feline Adult Savory CutsŪ Beef 5.5 oz.
3. Science DietŪ Feline Adult Savory CutsŪ Chicken 5.5 oz.
4. Science DietŪ Feline Adult Savory CutsŪ Ocean Fish 5.5 oz.
5. Science DietŪ Feline Senior Savory CutsŪ Chicken 5.5 oz.

No other Hill’s products are affected by this recall.

http://www.hillspet.com/menu_foods/Menu_Foods_en_US.htm

dyan
Dog Addict!

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 06:23:37 PM »

I *think* it was on Good Morning America - they were talking about this recall and advised pet owners to buy foods without grain, corn, wheal gluten, etc.   

Well, aflltoxin is what caused the problem with Diamond,,,in their corn. IT can affect all grains.  I heard about the wheat gluten thing a couple of days ago...because they said they had a new supplier of it. BUT don't you think that if they narrowed it down to wheat gluten that we would all know it by now? They are saying that they are testing all of this food and haven't been able to figure it out! THATS SCARY!!!

Dyan
LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2007, 11:16:51 AM »

I would like to think we'd know by now, Dyan, but, so far, all of their testing has been inconclusive.   pulling hair

myspoileddogs
Howls at the Moon!

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2007, 01:23:07 PM »

Just a clarification--it is Nutro Natural Choice that is on the recall list. Natural Balance is not made by Nutro.

LOL I know the difference just had a dumb moment there.  I feed my dogs Dick Van Patten's Nat Balance canned foods from time to time......My foster kitty has been eating some natural balance that I had donated. 
myspoileddogs
Howls at the Moon!

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2007, 01:29:21 PM »

I have a friend whose cat recently came down with CRF.   They couldn't figure out the cause but the cat nearly died and spent several days being boarded at the vet.  The cat will now need a special diet for the rest of it's life.  Come to find out the cat was eating one of the recalled foods...  crying

I have been trying to talk this friend into switching foods for SO long.   She had a dog die at 7 from Lymphoma last year.  She doesn't see the correlation in health issues and poor diet but I am hoping this will open her eyes a bit.
Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2007, 01:33:56 PM »

I figured you knew, but sometimes a lot of people lurk and I didn't want them to not understand the difference 

snow57ghost
Howls at the Moon!

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2007, 01:46:23 PM »

There are so many brands involved but it appears for now to not include any dry kibble.  I believe all the food was canned or in those pouches.
mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2007, 02:34:34 PM »

There are no pet food companies in the US that make kibble and canned at the same site.

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2007, 03:34:57 PM »

I know Solid Gold is not on the recall list but i had written them before the complete list came out inquiring about their food.

here's the response.

Thank you for your inquiry,

We at Solid Gold realize that customers are very concerned with the recent recall of canned products made by Menu foods. We would like to assure our customers that there are no safety concerns with Solid Gold products. Menu Foods does not make Solid Gold foods in any of their manufacturing facilities. Solid Gold is not subject to the current recall and we do not anticipate any problems with our foods. You may continue to feed Solid Gold food and treats with confidence.

Best regards,

Solid Gold

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster