August 01, 2014, 12:44:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lead And Other Metals Found In Wal-Mart Pet Toys  (Read 1074 times)
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« on: September 17, 2007, 06:03:06 PM »

Expertox, a Texas lab, has found elevated levels of lead, chromium, and cadmium in two Chinese-made pet toys sold at Wal-Mart. But two veterinarians said the levels found by the lab are not a health risk to cats and dogs.

The lab was hired by ConsumerAffairs.com to test two dog toys and two cat toys for heavy metals and other toxins.

A dog chew toy, a green monster, tested positive for what the lab categorizes as high levels of lead and chromium. The lab detected lead levels of 907.4 micrograms per kilogram (almost one part per million). Chromium was found at levels of 334.9 micrograms per kilogram. Levels of cadmium, arsenic and mercury were also found in the green monster toy.

The lab said with that kind of concentration, if a dog puts the toy in his mouth and chews or licks it, he is being exposed to a good amount of lead and runs the risk of metal toxicity that may shorten his life.

Expertox said a cloth catnip toy also tested positive for a “tremendous amount” of the toxic metal cadmium. The levels of cadmium found were 236 micrograms per kilogram.

Two other Wal-Mart pet toys were analyzed, a cloth hedgehog for dogs and a plastic dumbbell toy for cats. Expertox found cadmium in those two pet toys, but the lab toxicologist said the levels found were similar to the amount in one cigarette and not considered significant.

Read the rest of the article :
here
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 06:20:46 PM by minniesmom » Logged

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 08:02:21 PM »

Is it only the green one? Kiva has an orange one. Sad

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 08:05:52 PM »

I don't know Layne, Consumer Affairs just tested the green one, as far as I can tell.

And I'm sure it's not just WalMart toys that are affected.

A.J.
Staff Moderator

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 10:52:56 PM »

vent  What's next???

God, help me to be the kind of person that my dog thinks I am."
www.shoptoearn.net/aj12
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2007, 04:46:22 AM »

And molly of course has that exact same green toy bought from walmart .  Its not in her toy box now so she hasn't played with it in months.  Molly has so many toys that we have garbage bags that we switch to put in her toy box.

So now i know which toy to toss.

grrrrr enraged

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
dawnk777
Dog Addict!

Looking forward to spring!

dawnk777
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2007, 07:11:52 AM »

Good grief.  Is nothing sacred?

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 08:48:06 AM »

It just doesn't stop.

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 09:58:26 AM »

Take this information with a healthy dose of caution. Expertox is a lab that specializes in DNA, and they have been used several times this year to test dog food. Every time, their results have come under question.

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
Angel-Dancer
Back to a bakers 1/2 dozen!
Dog Addict!

Kyra Our Service Dog in training

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 12:48:28 PM »

I guess we will see what comes of it.
I am sure if they tested many other toys, similar results would be found.  I am not sure how harmful it is at those levels.  Unfortunately it is a wait and see type of issue.
My dogs have nyla bones and tennis balls.  Anything on those yet?  Maybe I should check where they are made. whoknows

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 01:02:22 PM »

All of these food and toy recalls only point out what most educated pet owners have known for decades: the pet food industry is a hugely profitable industry and is terribly under regulated. Dog food sales exceed baby food sales in the US. I wonder what they will find when they are start looking into pet nutritional supplements. eeek

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
Angel-Dancer
Back to a bakers 1/2 dozen!
Dog Addict!

Kyra Our Service Dog in training

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2007, 03:28:51 PM »

They will find everything causes some form of cancer in lab animals receiving high doses and everything they tested is in all toys, our food, dog food, dog toys, bones, tennis balls and anything that can be inserted into a mouth by human or animal.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster