February 28, 2020, 01:34:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Progress in training..  (Read 1554 times)
IluvMyPups
Dog Addict!

« on: August 24, 2007, 12:22:01 AM »

It's been tons hard to train 3 pups the proper canine behavior but I think we've come a long way. You might think some of the things are a little silly for them to learn , but that's just really how it happened. I wasn't training anything in one particular order- they all learn differently. Chloe is the quickest. She gets it almost right off the bat. Belle is the slowest of them-it takes her the longest.

Here are just a few things I've been able to teach them..

Chloe:
Sit
Down
Come
Kisses
Paw/ Wave
Stay- We're having a little bit of difficulty on this one, but she is getting it slowly.
Leave it
Off

I would say Chloe is the most reliable in the come department. She can be off leash and she will not run off.

Belle and Dahlia need a lot of work. I wouldn't trust them off leash at this point. We worked on it tonight, but I won't be trying it outside off leash anytime soon.

Dahlia is smart- she just needs a focus. She's easily distracted by anything that moves. I think she might also be some kind of terrier mix. I am not sure though.Anyone got any tips on training terriers?

Dahlia:
Sit
Down
Paw
Kisses
Come- not very good right now
Stay- needs work
Quiet(She can be quite a barker!)

Belle is the absolute worst when it comes to listening. I have to work a lot harder with her than the others. It took her a few months to get sit. Now she knows that reliably.

Today she learned Shake. She must've seen the other dogs do it so she figured it out. Chloe and Dahlia are great teachers! lol
We are working on:
Come
down
Stay
Quiet( She is the worst bark offender!)
Off

I admit I don't think I am the best teacher but I am just taking things I've learned from watching other trainers-online and at training schools.

Just thought I'd let you know what we were up to.  clapping

I enjoy teaching them things though. I hope we continue with the progress I've made. I know come and stay are really important.

-Thea

Thanks Ashley(k9krazee)
pittygrrl
Dog Addict!

My Ontario Includes Pit Bulls!

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 12:33:31 PM »

You just got Chloe and you already trust her off leash? Wow.  Even though she seems to be doing well on the Come, I'd start working in some distractions with her.  Get a longer line and call a Come - as she's running in, have someone throw a ball or squeak a toy.  She still coming into you? If so, fabulous.  If not, you have more work to do to get a true recall Smiley

I've had Siris 6 years and I still don't trust her completely off leash.  She'll come in about 90% of the time and then there's the other 10% where she's like "eff you mom! you're all the way over there, what are you gonna do about it? and look at that squirrelllllllll!"

Sounds like you're training is going well with the three of em - keep at it! Are you working on the Heel also or do they already know that one?  To me, Heel is the most important command, once you can get that nailed, everything else comes soooo much easier.  It's the whole "Walk with Me" (As opposed to You walking with Them), or "Follow Me" (From a leadership perspective) mentality that once you can engrain in your dogs, everything else comes a lot more naturally.

IluvMyPups
Dog Addict!

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 09:13:30 PM »

Chloe has actually been off leash since day one. She's a very obedient 4 month old who listens fairly well. I wouldn't say it's completely perfect, but she never runs very far. She always has to make sure one of us is always there. If I go inside she comes inside. If I go out she goes out, and vice versa. We have many distractions- loud children running around, bunny rabbits-no she doesn't chase them. She'd bark at them and run back to me. lol. She really is great. Of course she is a puppy though who gets plenty distracted so occasionally she'll be off on a sniff and she'll be like "be there in a minute, sniffing something interesting here." It's a never a full on "eff you" lol. Wink

Stay seems to be giving us a little bit of trouble. For all the dogs actually. I can't get 3 solid stays.Any good suggestions? Dahlia seems to be the worst. If she hears a noise she has gotta investigate. Sometimes We work all together as a group and sometimes it's one on one. All the puppies need their alone time with us.

Heel is a tough one. My sister will walk Chloe and she's pretty good. She's strong but doesn't pull. She just walks along like a happy little thing.
Belle is easy-she's a pipsqueak. LOL.

Dahlia is my puller- we've really gotta work hard on that with her. She just wants to go ahead of you all the time. It's pretty tough, but we'll get there.

Thanks Ashley(k9krazee)
Mary [deryni]
Global Moderator

Rikku - aka Funk Bird

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 02:00:14 AM »

Just my opinion, but I think it's lunacy to let a 4 month old dog off leash anywhere. peace
Carole
Dog Addict!

Sergeant Sunny a.k.a "Sarge"

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 08:47:34 PM »

Just my opinion, but I think it's lunacy to let a 4 month old dog off leash anywhere. peace

I agree 100% simply because once that puppy becomes a "teenager", all that good training goes in one ear out the other during those times and if that dogs is off leash, could spell diaster.

Never underestimate the warmth of a cold nose
IluvMyPups
Dog Addict!

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 06:23:40 PM »

Chloe is really good. She doesn't ever run off far.. 

I am excited. My co-worker just got a new puppy about 4 months old and is going to take her to training. I asked her when she would be starting classes and she told me she would find out and call me. I suggested to her that we do the class together.

I am thinking I should either start with Dahlia or Belle and than train them all at home. Chloe learns fast so I don't think she'll have any problems. What do you think? I think Dahlia would be better to start off with because she has the most difficulty.

I asked her if she would bring her dogs over to my house to play and she said that was a good idea. The training classes and her bringing her dogs over will definitely help her.

It's good to know other co-workers with dogs since we don't have a dog park here. 

Thanks Ashley(k9krazee)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster