October 31, 2014, 07:58:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Halloween

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For all you trick experts..  (Read 624 times)
IluvMyPups
Dog Addict!

« on: July 29, 2007, 10:03:09 PM »

How in the world do I get my dogs to listen? I feel like they have wax in their ears. They are the most treat unmotivated dogs in the world. I was working with Belle on Come/Stay/Sit outside with all the distractions(on lead!) and she just didn't seem to care about the treats at all. She did some sit, and than when I told her to come I had to drag her back to me. I was trying the "Watch Me" to get her to pay attention but I don't know.. 

Dahlia is a little better but she still is pretty treat unmotivated. I tried just praise but that doesn't seem to work either. Dahlia does learn quickly and can sit, down, and we're practicing "come"(on lead) She did good inside, but outside with all the distractions she wouldn't pay attention.

I am going to try to devote time to each dog individually to see how that works.

If anyone has any good suggestions I'd appreciate it.

THANKS!

Thanks Ashley(k9krazee)
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 10:31:02 PM »

Try working with them one-on-one.

I'll move this to the Behavior section.

Chestersmama
Dog Addict!

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 11:04:42 PM »

Chester's the biggest treat snob in the world.   rotflmao   And now with his allergy to poultry, it just makes things even harder.

What I've resorted to is buying thin slices of meat (pork or beef) when the prices are slashed for quick sale because they've reached the "sell by" date.  I cube these and cook 'em up with a tiny bit of garlic powder for extra smell, and just use these for training treats.  I actually did some work with him tonight with some of the chopped pork and it worked great.  Sometimes I cook up some ground buffalo as well but keeping some big chunks in there to use as treats.  It has more aroma than beef and Chester usually will go for it.

Just a thought your doggies are treat-finicky.   wink2

"If there is anything disagreeable going on men are always sure to get out of it."
- Jane Austen, Persuasion
pittygrrl
Dog Addict!

My Ontario Includes Pit Bulls!

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2007, 12:10:42 PM »

I say speed and follow through.  If she's not paying attention, don't wait for her to pay attention - give the command, and follow through.  For example: Come. Start out with her at the end of the leash.  She's not looking at you? -- Who cares?  Too bad, so sad.  Say her name and then Come.  She doesn't react within a split second? Start running backwards and reeling her in while encouraging her (good girl, goooooood girl!), and then call a sit when you have no leash left and she's right in front of you.  Praise LIKE CRAZY. Treat her if you use treats.

Once she learns that you're going ahead with the training session regardless of her attention level or enthusiasm, she's going to start to pay attention, because she'll want to do it on her own, rather than being reeled in immediately.  And she won't want to be surprised by suddenly being reeled in or "helped" into position (if you're asking for a sit or a down or another command).

I find the quicker and clearer we are in our follow through and showing the dog what we expect, the more attention they start paying to us and the faster the response.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2007, 12:34:01 PM »

Train at suppertime, BEFORE they get their bowls. A couple of minutes a day can work wonders.

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
Carole
Dog Addict!

Sergeant Sunny a.k.a "Sarge"

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 02:06:48 PM »

Well for one they are not "tricks". Down, come, stay etc.... is basic obedience commands that all dogs should know IMO.

Some tips:

You are teaching too many things in one session. Teach one command at a time until they get it really good, then move onto to others. IMO, a good solid sit every time you ask should be the first thing a dog learns.

If treats are not doing it for them, find something else they love for praise like a toys, their favorite stuffy or blanket...could be anything really...only you can figure that out.
My dogs live for a good belly rub, pat on the chest or side, ear scratch or a kiss with a "good boy or girl" (there are so many ways to praise with nothing material). I only use treats to teach new commands in the beginning, but they always disappear fast cause I don't want to have to carry treats around with me forever for them to do something I ask. Princess is not treat motivated, when training her I use her favorite ball for an example.

Train each dog individually to avoid distractions from each other. Train the command first then practice with distractons after they learn what you want.

Keep training sessions short and simple but often.

Practice makes perfect. You must keep up on training for the life of the dog. Rex is 13 and still have "refresher" sessions.

Use NILIF.

Go to an obedience class.

And Lastly, not to sound rude, remember there is nothing wrong with your dogs if they are not "listening" or learning...it's always the owner. So step back and figure out what you need to change if something isn't working.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 02:10:32 PM by Carole » Logged

Never underestimate the warmth of a cold nose
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 02:24:35 PM »

I agree with what Carole just posted.

These are not tricks but actually can be lifesavers.

I let molly out in the backyard (fully fenced in) without really checking it out and let molly off her leash.  Too late did i see a woodchuck in our yard.  How it got in i'll never know since we even have chicken wire fencing at the bottom of our wooden fence. 

Anyways ~ it's there and molly goes into pure prey mode and wants to kill this thing.  Me i love all animals and I couldn't stand if molly had hurt it.  I let out this blood curdling nooooo downnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn and to my surprise molly dropped like she should have.  Now i probably didn't have to yell it like i did but that was my own panic .

Sit is a simple command that dogs of just a few weeks old should know.  It's easily taught with treats or just by holding your hand up and a little over the back of their heads.

Consistency is the key to training and having a well trained dog.  Molly is far from perfect but she does know the basic commands along with some really cute tricks.

Again~ you need to keep at this for their safety.  They've gotten loose a few times already and these commands can be a lifesaver.

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster