May 29, 2020, 03:23:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: flag       flag       goodmorning       flag       flag

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kaden's Training Paid Off Today  (Read 2611 times)
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« on: July 29, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »

Those training exercises I have been doing with Kaden paid off today. We were walking this afternoon doing the walk-and-treat exercise, and calling him and treating him when he sees other dogs, or small kids, etc.

We were walking along when all of a sudden I felt him pull.........he hit the end of the lead and it broke. eeek I saw he spotted a dove. My only hope was that he caught the dove, killed it, and would be eating when I caught up to him. The dove just got away so I started calling him and waiving my treat bag. He stopped, looked at me, and came over. I had to chase him a bit to pick him up but got him home safely. The exercises and the fact I had my treat bag allowed me to catch and keep my Cairn.  phew

If another dog, another small animal, a small child, or anything that gets him into terrier mania mode showed up, itwould have been a disaster.  He could have kept running or worse......attacked someone. wimpering

Now, I will take my treat bag with me for each walk and Kaden has nice new collar. I'm sure his trainer will be pleased to hear that he responded so well.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
LoveMy2
Dog Addict!

« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 07:39:19 PM »

What do you feed that Cairn that he manages to break leashes and collars now ???  wink2

Seriously, it is great that he stopped, focused back on you and came back, even part way. I am glad you found an efficient trainer. The more successes he will have the more progress he will make. Did you finish the Culture Clash ? It has some very good stuff too, I think.

Flem GR DOB 04/24/04 - Nathalie - Spip YL DOB 05/18/02
A.J.
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 07:41:27 PM »

clapping  Good Boy Kaden!
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 07:46:14 PM »

I started calling him and waiving my treat bag

The visual.......   rotflmao

I think we've all been there...  I'm glad he responded to you, no matter what it took!

( we used to catch Drifter when he got away by yelling PIZZA Drifter PIZZA!!  blush )
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 08:24:27 PM »

rotfl rotfl Pizza would get Kiva's attention for sure. She loves those little balls of sausage. drool

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 04:43:52 AM »

phew

Kaden~ stop scaring your dad!!!!

Heart

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 06:00:32 AM »

Wow, that's always scary.

Great progress, though, Layne  HI5

phbeardog
Dog Addict!

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 06:28:25 AM »

rotfl

I agree te visual is really good, probably better than the actual, but let our minds just make their own picture, I know how cool and composed I look as I run after mine...NOT!!! joke

Glad he listened, and really happy his training is working, did you want me to send you one of Natasha's collars that might hold that little terror in check..but then again maybe not.. Grin
dawnk777
Dog Addict!

Spring is here.

dawnk777
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 09:36:00 AM »

Wow, I'm glad he paid attention to you!  Great job!

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 03:28:53 PM »

That is AWESOME!!!!!!!    Happy Yell

I know you were horrified, but that is just great that you've climbed the ladder of popularity!!!!!

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 06:49:11 PM »

woohoonana I am glad Kaden responded to you and was happy to come back.  
I am so glad you are putting such great time and effort into him to help him grow into a better and better dog.

Visualizing chasing after Kaden, reminded me of the time, we had just bought our horse Fireman.  My dad had just told me Fireman is my responsibility because of the way he responds to me.  I had Fireman on the walker, Fireman escaped, took off running up the road, and there goes me  outahere chasing after a 1200 lb race horse.  I was sure going to catch him.  Thankfully he got so far, freaked and returned home on his own. phew

dawnk777
Dog Addict!

Spring is here.

dawnk777
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2007, 11:06:39 PM »

When I took Jasmine to obedience class, when we first got her, they said to always be happy, when your dog comes to you.  That that is not the time to yell at them for running off.  So, she loved letting me walk away, then I would turn around, yell come and she would run to me so fast and get petted and loved on.

She has such a good recall now!  The other day, we saw a schnauzer coming down the street, but across the street.  I saw it first, but I could tell, when Jasmine saw it.  Her attention all changes.  She did pace around in front of me, but never got more than about 4 feet from me.  We were at the end of the driveway, farthest from the sidewalk.  When she got a little too far the "heh-heh-heh" brought her right back!

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2007, 11:27:39 AM »

When I caught him, I rubbed him all over and talked funny and tried to pretend we were playing. He is weird about picked up and stuff.

Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2007, 03:58:44 AM »

I'm so happy to hear this Layne!

iloveshepherds
Dog Addict!

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2007, 05:18:04 PM »

woohoo clapping

Sally
Dog Addict!

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2007, 01:46:11 PM »

yay!!!   Happy Yell Happy Yell

nothing like getting a recall from an ADD hunt driven dog.  wink2  You should be very proud of Kaden.  And great job Layne.   

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster