February 24, 2020, 06:23:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (~ Trick of the Week: 1st Edition, BOW ~)  (Read 4012 times)
k9krazee (Ashley)
Willing to make signatures upon request :)
Dog Addict!

« on: July 18, 2007, 08:39:15 PM »

I think Wednesdays are a good day to start  Roll Eyes Grin

The trick to learn for this week is...

the infamous BOW!

I'm sure you all know what it looks like..the same position a dog does when he wakes up from a nap or wants to play.

Verbal Cue: Bow
Hand signal: I use a hand pointing to the floor, you can use whatever you'd like.

How to: Here a couple methods to try

1) The lure. Sit sideways to the dog and place a hand under their abdomen. Lure the dog using a treat/toy so they bring their front end down. Praise, repeat. (Worked well with Micki)

2) Capture. When the dog wakes up or goes into a play bow immediately reward the behavior. Be patient until the dog does it again by accident and eventually they will make the connection and start offering that behavior.

3) Position the dog between your legs and use both hands to rub their belly. This usually generates a stretch, reward any bow-like behavoir and repeat. (This worked for Jack)

Good luck guys!!

Out of my crew Jack and Micki know this, so I'll be working this week with Mini and Kyra.

Ashley and Crossbone ("Miniature ACD")

Living with my parents: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTs)
RIP Kyra: 7/11/04 - 11/3/12 & Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 08:44:49 PM »

clapping That's a easy one! Minnie knows it!

I'd like to add.. when I taught Minnie this, when she would stretch in the  morning (or when ever) I would tell her 'good bow' and treat her.
So Capture worked good for her.

Can't wait to hear everyone's results!
A.J.
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 08:45:09 PM »

HI5  Thank you!  

I've been trying this with Cana, but sometimes she puts her butt down!  rotflmao
A.J.
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 09:44:13 AM »

Thank You, Ashley!

OK.....she keeps putting her butt down! 

I stand in front of her and put the treat near the floor.  I then tell her to bow.  When she gets to the bow, I click and tell her she's a good girl, but then she puts her butt down.

What can I do to get her to stay at the bow?
k9krazee (Ashley)
Dog Addict!

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 10:16:23 AM »

OK, I wouldn't stand in front of her yet. Kneel to the side and do the treat on the floor like you have been doing. After you click and treat, put a hand will under her belly so its not possible for her to put her butt down and make her return to a stand and give another click/treat.

I would just get her to bow and then stand again at first. Later you can work on holding the bow for longer periods of  }^{time.

Sounds like you and Cana are doing well!! 

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 11:32:03 AM »

Aw, bow is my favorite! Our trainer tried to teach us this while kneeling beside the dog, and holding his hips up, and yada, yada, yada.....

I looked at Cleve, pulled some cheese from his nose down between his front paws, and the rest is history!

Chalice and Kord learned the same way.

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 05:19:32 PM »

The first video in this link shows Minnie doing bows!

http://dogaddicts.com/smf/index.php?topic=17942.0
LoveMy2
Dog Addict!

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 06:31:02 PM »

I am jaaaalous... We know nuthing so far (except the classic, sit, down, move, come)and we will get late on homework but we will try as soon as possible. If ya'll give us a (couple of) month(s) where everybody else needs a week, we should be able to make some progress... I hope, I think, I trust...
Thanksgiving looks like a pretty realistic deadline right now. thud  rotflmao

I think the lure and/or the positioning will be the ones for us. Capturing implies having treats out at the right time in the right place and that's highly improbable... and other forms of rewards have no meaning for Spip the Hog.

Thanks for the clear explanations.

Flem GR DOB 04/24/04 - Nathalie - Spip YL DOB 05/18/02
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 06:35:22 PM »

Just a FYI......  Minnie doesn't do as well or as fast if she actually sees the reward.. then she just wants at it!  blush
LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 05:40:20 AM »

Jillian knows "bow" - working with George  pulling hair

k9krazee (Ashley)
Dog Addict!

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 05:21:06 PM »

So...how are Cana, George and others doing??

Mini's almost got it! The little lightbulb has finally gone off (my favorite part of training!) and only lays down 20% of the time! I haven't even started working with the rotten Kyra kidddd yet.

A.J.
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2007, 06:57:55 PM »

Well, Cana does it with me putting the treat down near the floor, but hasn't mastered doing it on her own.

Now every time she stretches, i tell her "Good girl!"  rotflmao
iloveshepherds
Dog Addict!

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2007, 06:58:26 PM »

Im going to teach my pups to do this!!!  

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2007, 07:10:04 PM »

Okay,the little dogs do not get it.  I have to physically place them in the position. I will try with the Xena and Odaat and see what happens.
k9krazee (Ashley)
Dog Addict!

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2007, 05:39:19 PM »

How are you guys doing on this?? I taught Mini and Kyra, now I have to wait until they get home (they're up north with my parents), to get a group bowing picture.

Angel-Dancer, it's okay if you have to place them in position if that's what it takes. Keep repeating and treating and eventually they'll understand.

A.J. are you still helping her back end at all? If all you're doing is putting treats on the floor what I'd do now is point to the ground, get her to do it and then bring the treats from your other hand and give them to her. You don't want the lure to stay forever, at some point the lure has to change to the reward. Keep moving back a little and eventually you'll be able to stand up away from her.

A.J.
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2007, 07:19:25 PM »

A.J. are you still helping her back end at all? If all you're doing is putting treats on the floor what I'd do now is point to the ground, get her to do it and then bring the treats from your other hand and give them to her. You don't want the lure to stay forever, at some point the lure has to change to the reward. Keep moving back a little and eventually you'll be able to stand up away from her.

I started doing from the side, like you said....so now she doesn't put her butt down, but still can't get her to do it on her own.

She picked up other things so quick...this has me stumped!  rotflmao
IluvMyPups
Dog Addict!

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2007, 07:20:22 PM »

Belle does this naturally. I think she could do it as a trick.. lol.

Thanks Ashley(k9krazee)
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2007, 07:27:41 PM »

I will start working with Scooby more.  I tried with Meakoe some, but he is so close the ground and so long, you can never tell when he is bowing. Grin
I am going to have to pick one dog and follow thru instead of trying it with this one and that one.
k9krazee (Ashley)
Dog Addict!

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2007, 08:01:53 PM »

Belle does this naturally. I think she could do it as a trick.. lol.

That's even better!!! Whenever she does it praise, praise, praise and put a command to it!

Keep it up, AJ!

IluvMyPups
Dog Addict!

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2007, 08:13:18 PM »

I'll let you know and take a pic of her doing it. Wink

Thanks Ashley(k9krazee)
LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2007, 06:05:44 AM »

Yeah, well, ummm - George, it's just not happening  rotfl

Poor little guy just isn't too bright - honestly, I think he has ADHD - in two years the only real command he's learned is sit.  Everything else we've worked with him on (for two years now) just doesn't seem to click.  Honestly, though, if it's a command that allows him to be on the move, like "come", "over here", "this way", etc., he learns much faster and does do quite well with those.  He even has "go around" pretty good now (you know, like go around the tree so you don't wrap your leash around it)  He just can't keep himself focused long enough if he has to be still too long.  When he settles down a bit more (he's still a bit on the energetic side) I'm sure we'll be able to work with him on things like "bow" more. 

Until then, I'm still trying to get him to catch a treat, not just let it bounce off his nose.   big groan

IluvMyPups
Dog Addict!

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2007, 07:16:08 PM »

Dahlias got it!  drinks Happy Yell woof dancydog dancydog clapping clapping clapping

Thanks Ashley(k9krazee)
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2007, 07:20:11 PM »

HI5 good for her!!!
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2007, 07:35:38 PM »

woohoonana Now come train mine for me... Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up