February 24, 2020, 05:47:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So Many Opinions  (Read 1452 times)
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« on: July 07, 2007, 08:19:30 PM »

I have been reading some of my old books, digging up articles, and reading new books on training now that I have Kaden. It's amazing how many people contradict each other. One author says, "You must be alpha dog. You must eat first. You must walk through doors first. You must walk in front of your dog." Then the next expert says, "That's all rubbish. Eat when you want, your dogs can walk or sleep anywhere they want, and the whole concept of being alpha is ridiculous." pulling hair In my desire to have a better behaved happier dog, I am driving myself insane. It's  like this no matter who I read not to mention every flavor of opinion in between. blah blah blah blah blah blah

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
Carole
Dog Addict!

Sergeant Sunny a.k.a "Sarge"

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 09:56:15 PM »

It's one of the main reasons why I always state that it's my opinion when I give advice.

I don't train one way, I train dogs many ways. Why? Cause all dogs are different. So many trainers are so head strong and set in one method and apply it to all dogs. I think that is so stupid cause obviously not all dogs are the same or created equal.

I like to keep the basics the same though and then train whatever way the DOG will respond to best and the most positive.

Basically, listen to all your reading but only follow what is working for Kaden and you.

Never underestimate the warmth of a cold nose
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 10:03:22 PM »

I'm not a trainer, but I do have a set time to feed Minnie ( as I have with all of our dogs)
I may not be hungry at that particular time, or the food isn't ready. I'm not going to make her wait to eat for 2 hours past her *time*.

So, most days, she eats before we do.

The door thing, yes, I do hold her back, mainly because she will bolt if there is something out there she wants.
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 10:14:57 PM »

Carole, I read somewhere that training is not a formula but a recipe. Finding the recipe for Kaden is a labor of love. It took me a long time to train Kiva to walk in front. That is where I like her to be so I can keep an eye on her and watch what might be tempting her attention or running up to her at the park. When I feed them, depends on how hungry they are, I am, and when we all ate last. I find that if they eat first, they are less likely to camp out at my feet waiting for me to drop something.......naughty little scavengers. Grin

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
A.J.
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 10:21:33 PM »

When I was younger, I saw Barbara Woodhouse on the Phil Donohue Show...

I thought, at the time she was fantastic.  We're talking 1980 something..

I went out and bought her book.  I didn't even have a dog!  From that moment on, I've wanted to be a dog trainer!

While reading her book, I found out that she had her dogs go potty on command...I was amazed!

She also leash popped.... no no

When I had my Golden, I bought a book by Brian Kilcommons "Good Owners, Great Dogs".

I purchased  "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Dog Training" By Pamela S Dennison
when I got Cana.

I've learned different things from different sources.  I've learned a lot from DA!  

Layne you have to do what works for you and Kaden. (keeping the name?)   dancydog

LoveMy2
Dog Addict!

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 10:34:36 AM »

Cause all dogs are different. ...... I think that is so stupid cause obviously not all dogs are the same or created equal.
Yesss... There are so many learning (and teaching) styles out there, it can be really hard to find what fits you, the dog, and the circumstances. For example, I have fiddled a bit with clicker training (need to go back to it) and found out that only Spip is interested; Flem completely ignores that strange noise and seems not to relate the treat and the sound (she is also not as food motivated as Spip) but on the other hand she is more confident in trying new things.

We do have routines for feeding (they eat before us, a few feet apart, in one of 2 places according to the weather, sit & wait until the bowl is down), putting the leashes on, etc but I would not dare say that mine are trained; I tend to consider them educated (doing what works for us all and goes with our way of life). Could they be better on lots of things ? Sure, we still have some way to go on loose leash walking for example. Are there lots of things they cannot do ? Oh yeah, their recall is fine in the yard but I would not trust them out of a fenced area off leash. We just do not live in a place that allows for practice of that kind of thing easily and no practice equals no learning.

The problem with all the theories, as I see it, is that they each present themselves as written in stone and THE only way to achieve results. Seems to me that the trick is to pick and choose elements (as long as they are not completely incompatible and do not hurt the dog) and weave them together into something that you feel comfortable with and give you the expected results.

Flem GR DOB 04/24/04 - Nathalie - Spip YL DOB 05/18/02
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 10:54:26 AM »

Having Cairns, I don't have to be overly concerned with obedience training because they never will be....that is, they have strong minds of their own. You cannot even think for one minute they can be reliable and predicable. They can never be off lead for a second when outside due to prey drive and absolutely no recall. Kiva knows basic commands which she is good with at home, but not so good in public. Kaden is learning. What I go for is being behaved inside and not being crazy out of control outside. Kiva was well socialized so I can trust she won't bite anyone or attack another dog (she does defend herself).

It strikes me as funny that Kiva is a good girl apart from being a typical Cairn and according to some "authorities" I did everything wrong. head scratch

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster