December 15, 2018, 01:19:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: xmasscene

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Needing a little advise on starting raw..  (Read 1069 times)
Nosintowin
Doesn't Bite!

« on: June 27, 2007, 02:26:53 AM »

Well..I've really wanted to get my two on raw for..a long time. I've never had the time, or knowledge to do so. I think I'm finally ready to try it, but I have no idea where to start. I've read just about everything there is to find on the internet (I know..i'm putting alot of effort forth, but..again, I don't know where to look for any books/info on the subject). It's all so overwhelming.  fishslap

Franklin and River have never acted too 'spunky' on any commercial dog food. For about two weeks I was feeding them ground turkey/chicken and some chicken liver. And tossed them a few chicken wings. After a day or two of turning their noses up to it, they started to pick at it. By the end of the week they were eating it pretty well. Well..we went on vacation for two weeks, right after that, and took the dogs. I wasn't going to dare try and do raw on that trip, so we went back to their Innova.

I never tried again..as I knew feeding them just that couldn't be meeting thier nutritional requirements. I thought I would start once I knew more about it.

They seemed alot more entergetic during that time, and acted like they felt better, I dunno if I was just going crazy, or if it really was helping them already.  head scratch

Anyway..

I really want to get them started on raw over the summer. Anybody have any good books, or suggestions on what to start them on? Just..anything to help someone as lost as me. Lol poke

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 11:57:19 AM »

Go to Amazon and you can get all the books you need. I would recommend reading all of Dr. Ian Billinghurts' books on the BARF diet. Kymythe Schultze has a booked called The Natural Diet for Dogs and Cats. I also recommend Wendy Volhard's book and Dr Richard Pitcairn's book. I don't like their diets but they have useful information. Dr. Tom Lonsdale has a book called Raw Meaty Bones Promote Health. He doesn't tell you how to feed but why and his battle to ban commercial pet foods in Australia. There are other authors out there.

I would start with small bits and increase. You can try using cheap cuts of beef like chuck, chicken breast meat, lamb, etc., increase the amount with the kibble. Then you can start trying small edible bones like chicken wing tips, etc. to see how large the gulp factor is. I switched my new Cairn to raw in one day. He ate his Nutro Lamb and rice and I mixed in emu meat with the morning meal. He did well with no runny poop. Then I added the raw ground meat and bones to his evening meal. Poop factor still good. So, his next meal was completely raw. His poop had a little mucous the next day but that was all. His tummy adapted quickly. Most dogs will unless they have been eating really bad food or have some other issue.

Don't worry about feeling lost. We have been there. I have been feeding raw for long it's second nature. You'll get there too in about a month or two.  It's super super easy.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 12:05:38 PM »

You can find some books here
http://dogaddicts.com/smf/index.php?topic=19193.0

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2007, 04:14:15 PM »

I found my bibliography list.....there other books not on the list.

BARF Diet: Raw Feeding for Dogs and Cats Using Evolutionary Principles (Paperback)
by Dr. Ian Billinghurst (Author). He has another book Grow Your Pup with Bones.

Raw Dog Food: Make It Easy for You and Your Dog (Paperback)
by Carina Beth Macdonald (Author)

Give Your Dog a Bone: The Practical Commonsense Way to Feed Dogs for a Healthy Life (Paperback)
by Ian Billinghurst (Author)

Natural Nutrition for Dogs and Cats (Paperback)
by Kymythy Schultze (Author) "Each new day brings validity to what wise nutritionists-and your mother-have been saying for years: Eat good food and stop eating junk!..."

Dr. Pitcairn's New Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats (Paperback)
by Richard H. Pitcairn (Author), Susan Hubble Pitcairn (Author) "Why don't you take care of this one?" my colleague asked me, with the look of someone about to unload an unwelcome problem..." (more)

Guide for a Healthy Dog (Howell Reference Books) (Paperback)
by Wendy Volhard (Author), Kerry Brown (Author) "Your dog's behavior, happiness, health, longevity and overall well-being are inextricably intertwined with what you feed him...

Meaty Bones Promote Health (P) (Paperback)
by Tom Lonsdale (Author)

Complete Herbal Handbook for the Dog and Cat (Paperback)
by Juliette de Bairacli Levy (Author) "This chapter is of supreme importance to the book; by comparison, the other chapters become merely supplementary..."

« Last Edit: June 27, 2007, 04:16:45 PM by Layne » Logged

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster