December 15, 2018, 02:45:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: xmasscene

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Feeding My New Boy  (Read 2900 times)
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« on: June 08, 2007, 10:38:26 PM »

Now that he is here (I still can't decide on a name for him), I am starting his switch to raw tomorrow. I am starting with mixing emu meat into his kibble and then giving him some of Kiva's food at night. Up until now he has been fed Nutro lamb and rice by his foster mom and who knows what by his first family. He stinks. He smells like a bag of bad kibble. I haven't smelled that smell in years. I can't wait to get him fully switched over. While the dogs are in rescue, they must be fed a food that is easily found in any community. I don't blame the foster family at all.

I was told he is highly food motivated but I think he is just hungry for some good food. While Kiva is playing, he is searching the floor for food. I have never seen a dog this food oriented. Hopefully, after a few weeks of raw meat and bones, he will become less obsessed with food. His food obsession I am afraid is leaning him towards some bad feeding habits. He just screams "gulper". Giving him raw meaty bones like chicken wings and necks seems wreckless at this time.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2007, 11:02:23 PM »

I was told he is highly food motivated but I think he is just hungry for some good food. While Kiva is playing, he is searching the floor for food. I have never seen a dog this food oriented.

ahhh.. you haven't seen Minnie.. we don't call her Hoover for nothing. Roll Eyes

Carole
Dog Addict!

Sergeant Sunny a.k.a "Sarge"

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2007, 11:07:16 PM »

If you think him gulping down his food really fast is a problem or you simply don't want him to, put a rock or cone shape in the middle of the bowl. That will slow him down a bit until he realizes there is no need to rush.

You may want to feed them in separate rooms perhaps until you know how they will feed together. You can always slowly bring the bowls together over time and they will eat side by side without any problems.

You don't know his history, so perhaps the food obsession comes from lack of food early in life. Also, some dogs are just like that. Food obsession can be a GOOD thing especially for trianing purposes!!!

Never underestimate the warmth of a cold nose
Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2007, 06:47:53 AM »

If he's been crate trained, feeding in the crate is the best bet for know. Its his one "safe" place in your house and most likely place where he'll know he can take his time and eat. As far as what to feed, many people know better than me, but I would give him big RMB bones first that he can't gulp or even really get any bone off of and move down from there.

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2007, 10:17:37 AM »

He had his first raw meat this morning mixed with his kibble. He loves it. His drinks a lot of water too. I am presuming that it will go down as  he converts to a raw diet. Raw has so much more moisture than kibble. He was fed in his crate this morning after I fed Kiva. I held him while she ate and then I put him in his crate. At first I thought he darted in there and then realized it was Kiva! I had to pull her out to let him eat. Ah the joy of a two terrier household. scared rotfl

I bought two slabs of emu ribs the other night. I will try one of those out after I test his resource guarding. Today I am going to Walmart and Petsmart to check out baby gates to close off the kitchen so I can put Kiva in there with her rib and Cairn boy in his crate.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2007, 10:20:47 AM »

I hate WalMart, but, I'd think you will find a far petter price for a gate.

I know what you mean about the smell, Layne.  We had that when George came here and were going to wait to change his food over until he got over the stress of a new home.  He didn't let us wait, though.  There was no way he was going to eat regular old kibble when Jillian's food was so much better.  No more doggy stink  Grin

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2007, 03:52:44 PM »

He just smells like poor quality kibble, dog chow or ol roy to be exact. His breath is skin crawlingly bad. When we walk, he finds anything and everything to put in his mouth. He can find the tiniest bone deep in the grass. You can tell how digestible a food is by comparing how much is eaten with how much is pooped. I have been watching his poop like a hawk. It seems he is pooping the same amount volume wise as he is eating lending me to believe he is not getting much from his food.

LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2007, 06:30:08 PM »

Lucky for him that will all change now  Grin

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2007, 11:52:29 AM »

I switched him over pretty quickly. He has had four raw meals. His poop is so much better......not the color and consistency of peanut butter anymore.His breath is improving. I still don't trust him with an edible bone. His obsession with food I am sure would cause a choking incident. He would swallow just about anything whole.

LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 08:56:21 PM »

Hopefully that will settle down a bit.  Maybe try a chicken neck and hold onto it so he can't gulp?

Carole
Dog Addict!

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 09:12:23 PM »

I can understand the hesitation for now Layne regarding edible bones. If I remember correctly, it was Kiva who has a close call once with this issue so you would probably be even more cautious them normal.

If it was me, (and if you feel comfortable enough) I would literally sit on the ground criss cross applesauce style and hold the bone in your hand and let him chew on it. Or just let him have the bone and watch how he is. If he gets a little overboard say "Kaden easy".

One of my most useful commands my dogs know is the easy command. It works for me wanting them to take food from my hand slowly, to play nice with each other and many other things. It's basically my command telling them to slow down at whatever they are currently doing.

I teach this with food first and it gradually takes effect in other areas. I basically give a peice of food and say "easy" and if they don't take it slow or nice, I quickly turn my hand into a fist and pull away. Then I try again. The second they are being nice and slow, I give in.  It also a great way of teaching a dog patience.

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2007, 12:55:14 AM »

Carole, we are using the "easy" approach on just about everything. I call it "be sweet" when it comes to food and "calm down" when it pertains to his leash, etc. I follow Cesar Milan's concept of Kaden being in a calm submissive state. When I come home to walk them, I stand there with his leash and  say "calm down." Only when he stops acting like a brat will I put his leash on. He is catching on quickly. Plus Kiva helps. She doesn't like him being  a spastic brat. She gets on to him right away. He got nipped a few times today because he was getting too wound up. When he wants a treat or his snacky vite (their multi vitamin) he has to be very calm and gently take it from me or I take it way until he calms down. Food will be much harder. He has already snatched a buffalo wing off the coffee table. I went to take it from him and he pulled a Kiva. He took off running. When I cornered him, he tried to chomp and gulp but spat it out. I guess it was too spicy for the noodle head. I might try holding on to a beef rib so he can get used to bones and having my take it.  Tomorrow I'll dig one out of the freezer and let it thaw.

Carole
Dog Addict!

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2007, 02:16:03 PM »

Carole, we are using the "easy" approach on just about everything. I call it "be sweet" when it comes to food and "calm down" when it pertains to his leash, etc. I follow Cesar Milan's concept of Kaden being in a calm submissive state. When I come home to walk them, I stand there with his leash and  say "calm down." Only when he stops acting like a brat will I put his leash on. He is catching on quickly.

Right on!!!    Sounds like you have a good grip on things. Doesn't really matter what term you use whether it be "easy" or "be sweet" as long as they know what it means. I don't agree with everything Milan does, but a lot of what he says and does has much value and truth and his thinking is very simliar to mine in dog training.

Keep us updated! I love hearing about his, yours and Kiva's progress with this.

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 08:55:50 PM »

I don't think I have to worry about gulping. Tonight I doled out some chicken wing tips. Kiva chomped hers down in about 10 seconds. It took Kaden about 10 minutes to eat his one, tiny wing tip. He didn't know what to do with it. I don't know if he has never had anything to chew on or if he was too weirded out from the feel and textures. Every time he tried to eat it fell out of his mouth. rotfl

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 10:02:20 PM »

Silly boy... he'll learn!

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 10:06:55 PM »

clapping That's cute Layne!

Kord was unsure at first, but he got around to figuring things out. I'm sure Kaden will too.

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 04:54:21 PM »

rotflmao  I bet it was cute to watch!!

I'm sure he'll get used to it in no time.  George was the same way - didn't know what to do with raw meat, etc.  Now, he hauls lamb legs around like an old pro - as a matter of fact, he heisted Jillians, too, and tried to drag them both off at the same time.  Lamb legs weigh more than he does.  Roll Eyes  He'll be gnawing on that thing for days.

A.J.
Staff Moderator

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 05:38:54 PM »

Heart  He sounds adoable!  I think we need more pics!   impatient

God, help me to be the kind of person that my dog thinks I am."
www.shoptoearn.net/aj12
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 01:01:37 AM »

AJ, he is camera shy.......not much into modeling. rotfl He is too fast for my horribly slow digi cam. I bought one of those disposable cameras and he seems to like it much better. I am going to take as many pics as I can and then post them.

Tonight he wouldn't eat his wing tip until Kiva came calling....it's funny how fast a dog learns when another dog wants his food. Roll Eyes rotflmao

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 01:25:49 AM »

He's a smart one!

How are they getting along?

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 10:03:31 PM »

Kiva has stopped trying to get him to play. He prefers to sit on the couch. She is a thunder ball of activity as usual......still loves playing with her toys. Sometimes I wonder if each has forgotten the other exists until Kaden does something to annoy her Divine Majesty and she fusses at him. It's funny, they seem to become a single unit when they feel the need to protect the apartment or when they are out together and meet another dog, or see some small animal just needing to meet its maker. Basically it's like living with two dogs in two different worlds.

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 10:07:09 PM »

It takes time. At least they are still getting along and ridding the neighborhood of evil!  wink2

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster