July 09, 2020, 12:31:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: flag       flag       goodmorning       flag       flag

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions on Home Visits  (Read 8271 times)
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« on: May 12, 2007, 04:00:50 PM »

I made it through all of the reference checks okay and am now at the stage where I am awaiting a home inspection by a rescue volunteer. For those of you actively involved in rescue, what are the inspectors looking for? I know that some dogs need a fenced yard, etc. but what someone living in an apartment? What should I do or not do to prepare for the visit?

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
Mechele
Inactive Member

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 04:36:27 PM »

No advice, just a  group hug

Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly,
kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably.
And never regret anything that made you smile.
Carole
Dog Addict!

Sergeant Sunny a.k.a "Sarge"

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 05:10:16 PM »

Hopefully Anna and others could definitely help with this!!

Some of the obvious things would be that to make sure the house is clean and that Kiva is bathed and tidy!

They are going to want to see where she goes potty because of the no yard issue, so I would make sure that area is clean beforehand as well. It just makes a better presentation.

Make sure food and water dishes are really clean and full with water and food.

I'm sure you already do all this, but thought I would throw it out there anyhow.

It's all I can really think of.

I know when I had my home visit when I adopted Franklin, it was mostly questions they asked. They wanted to see where he would eat, sleep etc... It was basicaly making sure that the animal wasn't gonna live in filth and have access to things it needed. You can learn alot about someone by seeing how they live.

Best of luck Layne! I can't wait to hear more about it!

« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 05:11:51 PM by Carole » Logged

Never underestimate the warmth of a cold nose
megs
Dog Addict!

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 06:11:19 PM »

group hug  Wishing you the best of luck!  I'm sure everything will go well! 

I don't believe in fate or destiny. I believe in various degrees of hatred, paranoia, and abandonment. However much of that gets heaped upon you doesn't matter - it's only a matter of how much you can take and what it does to you.

-Henry Rollins
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 06:19:53 PM »

No advice.. just lots of good luck!
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 08:22:00 PM »

I should be okay. The complex I live in has a poopy station about every 50 ft it seems. The grounds are well kept and we have our own private gated/fenced dog park. My house is clean. The bathing part I can't touch. Cairns aren't supposed to be frequently bathed and her new groomer wants to see her every three months with no bathing in between. I hope I can get by with a good brushing and nail job. Because I was in the market for a home, I didn't replace my old couch like I wanted.  Hopefully furniture bearing the marks of naughty Cairn puppies won't be held against me. Almost every stick of furniture has Kiva's signature on it. blush

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Carole
Dog Addict!

Sergeant Sunny a.k.a "Sarge"

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 09:53:51 PM »

I think you'll be fine Layne!!!

As for the bathing, listen to your groomer! Also, I meant more in regards to making sure she is clean regarding being brushed and not smelling like she had a mud bath during the day or anything lol I'm sure Kiva is fine the way she is! I know what you mean with baths though, Princess gets one maybe twice a year cause that is all she needs unless of course she gets dirty somehow which is rare....she truly lives up to her name and won't touch anything yucky! rotflmao Rex on the other hand, he gets into everything especially if a mud puddle presents itself! He needs baths constantly during warmer months!

I can't think of anything else. I think as long as your house is decent (I don't think the condition of the couch matters much!), Kiva is presented as healthy (not matted or smelly and by smelly I mean not stinking to high heaven) and you are friendly and answers all questions asked that you shouldn't have a single problem!

We all know you take wonderful care of Kiva and that will come out and shine during the home visit I am sure! I wouldn't worry to much Layne, you are a good person and home for any dog lucky to find you!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 09:55:57 PM by Carole » Logged

Never underestimate the warmth of a cold nose
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 10:18:06 PM »

And if you need any references, I'm sure everyone here will send a letter of recommendation!
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 10:52:15 PM »

Thanks Carole and Terri. The couch aint too bad. It just has a Cairn sized hole in the back where Miss Divine tunneled into it after a toy. enraged

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2007, 10:55:42 PM »

rotflmao at least it's in the back.. you can put it against the wall.

When Kyra was a puppy she tore through the side of our *almost new* couch.. there was a toy under it... if only she had gone from the front, she could have gotten it. 
ZoeyGirl (Jenn)
Dog Addict!

Resident GP guru!

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 08:19:10 AM »

Good luck w/ the homevisit.  I would think that a couch that has been lovingly devoured used by Kiva would be a good sign.  It shows that you love your doggie more than the furniture.   Grin

Remember the past, plan for tomorrow but don't forget to enjoy today!
dawnk777
Dog Addict!

Spring is here.

dawnk777
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 12:24:05 PM »

Good luck, Layne!  I'm sure you're nervous, though!

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 12:29:09 PM »

Kiva is a typically exuberant Cairn. She also loves people madly. The only issue I have not really worked through is her excitement over meeting people. She wiggles and yips and puts her paws on their feet and lower legs. It doesn't bother me at all and when people come over they just comment on how funny she is when she meets them. My opinion is if you don't like my dog don't come over. You won't hurt my feelings.

Will her behavior kill my chances of adoption you think? I have worked through all other issues like resource guarding, etc.  Now I am worried.

Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 12:46:19 PM »

Even though I am not in fostering and home visits...one of the things I would look for is your current relationship with your dog.  How you handle discipline and how your dog reacts to you.  I would be looking for behavioral characteristics as well as adequate water supply, food, how you handle potty time, how you plan to assure that two dogs eat together, share living space, bed for each.  The couch situation could be in your favor as well.  I would be more relaxed with an owner who did not have perfect furniture since dogs can be very distructive.  If I were visiting a home with all white carpeting, furniture and I needed a glove on my hand to visit, I would not want my dog there.  The rigidness is unfair to a dog. 
From what I have read from you Layne, you are a very caring, very fair, loving person and dog owner.  I would have no issues whatsoever placing a dog with you.  You would really have to have bad living conditions of filth, a ungroomed dog, etc for me not to adopt to you. I cannot imagine you letting your living conditions or your dogs getting to a point like that. You show a lot of caring and high standards for your pets and yourself.
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 12:57:47 PM »

I don't think you have anything to be worried about, Layne.
Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 01:26:09 PM »

If I were a home visitor, I would be more concerned if you acted upset that your dog wasn't behaving. By letting Kiva be a dog and be herself, within reason, the visitor will see you love their dogs and understand that flexibility is necessary with a dog.  Don't worry about it. Just be yourself and let Kiva be herself. Knowing what I do about you and her, I'm sure you'll win the home visit person over easily.

Trisha
Staff Writer

Hey, watcha' doin'?

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2007, 01:39:09 PM »

I've done a few home visits. Here's some of the things we look for:

Reasonably clean home environment.
No obvious issues that could be a danger to dog - things they could get hurt on, etc.
They will observe your relationship with your cuttent animals.
They may ask about crating.
They will want to know how you will deal with potty accidents because newly homed dogs have them.
They will look for evidence of dog fighting.
They will ask about walking, exercise, vet, etc.
They will hope to observe that animals are treated as part of the family.
They may want to see where you potty them.
For people with yards, we do a perimeter check to see that the fences is solid and in good shape.
They may ask about your attitude toward training.
They may want to know what you do with your animals when you go on vacation.
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2007, 06:03:43 PM »

Thanks for reassuring me. Your post is very helpful, Trisha. I think if I can stand up I am going to dig out all of my pics from Gotcha Day to the present.

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2007, 06:16:16 PM »

Do you know when they are coming? Do they just give you a day (not time) that they will visit?
Anna and Mabel
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2007, 06:32:11 PM »

Layne,

Trisha covered most of what we look for.  For us the bottom line is this.  We ask ourselves one question.  "Would I leave one of my dogs here?"  If the answer is yes, than you are a shoo in!

We are not too particular on extreme cleanliness, as long as things are basically in order.  Our main goal is to make sure you have the time and resources to care for one of our dogs.

I can guarantee that you will pass with flying colors.  As for the Kiva signatures all over everything, that is a huge plus!  It means you have a dog friendly environment and would not get bent out of shape over a few new toothmarks or frayed sofa edges! group hug group hug

Good luck  luvsmile
Angel-Dancer
Dog Addict!

My baby boy Tucker

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2007, 12:08:24 AM »

Okay Layne, now you have the rest of us on the edge of our seats waiting for you to past the next stage...
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2007, 02:21:44 PM »

I'm still waiting to hear from the home visit coordinator. The reference check lady said it take a couple of weeks for the whole process to play out. I've been detail cleaning. My place clean any ways but I am doing little things like cleaning the glass on picture frames, dusting the top of door seals, etc.  From here on out it's a waiting game.

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2007, 03:48:34 PM »

I just got an email from the visit coordinator. They have someone to do the visit. The are supposed to contact me within 3-4 days. The visit will take about 45 minutes she said.  eeek  scared

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2007, 03:50:23 PM »

dancydog How exciting!!
Claire
Dog Addict!

Be yourself, who else is qualified?

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2007, 03:59:15 PM »

funny dance  Keep us posted!  HI5

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up