February 27, 2020, 11:53:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My agility dilemma  (Read 2162 times)
Kim H
Global Moderator

« on: April 19, 2007, 06:38:10 PM »

I can't decide if I want to sign up for classes with Toby. They are 6 week classes on Tuesday evenings for an hour beginning May 8 and it is very close to me (15 minute drive) compared to last summer they were an hour away.  I would really like to get him out and exercised and having fun at classes but I don't know if I will be physically capable of keeping up with him (at the last class I'll be about 5 weeks from my EDD) and if I will be overdueing it. I have a tendency to push myself too hard.  I know I'm probably the only one who can answer this dilemma just talking out loud I guess. I'm working an agility trial on April 28 so I think I'll talk to my instructor then and see what she thinks too. Anybody done agility while pregnant or even just can add insight on how I might feel at that point in my pregnancy and being active?

LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2007, 05:54:00 PM »

At 5 weeks from your EDD, you will probably still be quite active, but, as you said, only you will know what is too much.  Running around when you're that far along?  Can't say that when I was 5 weeks from delivery I was wanting to move around quite that much.  I walked tons right up until the day I delivered, but, didn't do agility with a dog, jog, or anything like that.

Personally, I'd probably hold off.  Really, I don't think you'll know just how well you'll be able to handle that until the time comes and I know you'll push yourself to complete the classes with him even if it is too much. 

}$${

myspoileddogs
Howls at the Moon!

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2007, 09:35:14 PM »

Lots of people have babies early!  Actually everyone in my family does! 

Is it a beginning level class?  Beginning level class would probably not be so much running but either teaching foundation work or starting on obstacles or both (depending on the class curriculum)....My dog and I have actively been training since xmas and just finished a foundation class.  We are starting on obstacles..(one jump work, 2X@ weaves, training teeter games, and the table!)..the only time I feel like I am really even moving around is when we are working on shadow handling!   

Really probably depends on how fit you are to begin with and how your families pregnancies are!  I know I would never dare take a class during the course of a pregnancy (I am not having children anyway but that's another story)...My family just has a bad history of preemies and complications....

I did have surgery on my arm during the last class.  I was down for one class period but was able to make it to watch and learn and a friend came and worked my dog during that class....I probably would have waited if I had to be down any longer than that..
Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 09:49:01 AM »

Well, I signed up, I'm still feeling good and mobile so we'll see how it goes. Instead of going into the intermediate class (that we could have) I opted to do the advanced beginner again, so it will be less full courses. So classes start Tuesday night, Toby will be so happy to be back at it again  }jumphappy{

dawnk777
Dog Addict!

Spring is here.

dawnk777
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 10:04:24 AM »

In the last month of my pregnancies, I didn't feel much like running.  Walking was okay, though.  Of course, with Sarah, I was supposed to have one more month of pregnancy, than I did!  LOL! 

Good luck to you, though!

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 11:05:09 AM »

Good luck! It will be fun!
Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 12:48:08 PM »

Oh and I forgot to add, I talked to the instructor and there is another springer in my class too  bouncy2

ewin0210
Staff Writer

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 03:02:14 PM »

I'm thinking of entering Scout in rally advanced at our club's weimaraner specialty on June 1st. I do know of a few people who ran thier dogs in agility trials fairly close to thier due date. It can be done, but not everyone can do it. I think it will be good to get in some more bonding time with toby before the baby comes. It will be more challenging afterwards, so definitely a good thing.
I also have a hard time slowing down...I just rearranged our whole bedroom... blush

Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 08:42:30 AM »

Well we just finished our last class last night. We did 2 runs through a whole course with every obstacle. Toby did awesome, I was so proud of my boy. I was huffing and puffing at the end though. Its probably good it was the last class, but I am very glad I decided to do it. I'm still feeling very good with only 6 weeks to go  woohoo

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2007, 10:26:38 AM »

clapping Sounds like it was fun!
LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2007, 03:05:20 PM »

I bet Toby loved it!!  Glad you made it through all the classes OK.   

k9krazee (Ashley)
Willing to make signatures upon request :)
Dog Addict!

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2007, 05:16:32 PM »

Glad you did it Kim, and it sounds like Toby enjoyed himself!  Grin

Ashley and Crossbone ("Miniature ACD")

Living with my parents: Jack (Lab/Beagle), Micki & Mini (JRTs)
RIP Kyra: 7/11/04 - 11/3/12 & Shadow: 4/2/96 - 3/17/08
ewin0210
Staff Writer

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2007, 08:24:26 PM »

Wow Kim that's great. I give you lots of kudos for running at this point. I haven't gained a ton, but my balance is ALL out of whack.  Sometimes I think I'm walking in a straight line and then I realize that I'm kind of swerving. Its really weird.  I can't believe how close everything is!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster