December 22, 2014, 06:00:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New from DFW  (Read 1272 times)
louiseb
Dog Addict!

Sweet Sable RIP

« on: March 16, 2007, 07:01:33 AM »

Found this forum listed in another online forum.

I have 4 dogs. Sable is 13, 9 pounds. I have had her since she was a pup. She is a Pomeranian/mutt mix that looks a lot like a Pomeranian. We've been through a lot together, my husband who died 8 years ago gave her to me. She has had surgery on both hips for hip dysplagia, and she had her gall bladder removed and spent a week in a local specialty hopital when her bile duct became blocked and caused liver failure. She has CHF that is slowly progressing now. She is doing great though and is the sweetest dog, everyone who meets her falls in love. When she was diagnosed with the CHF I think I finally realized I would not have her forever and how hard it was going to be to lose her. I decided after much thinking over whether it would be the right thing for her too to get another dog.

I got Moose, a dachshund/chihuahua mix, in the fall of 2005 when he was 6 months old. I saw him in the paper. The woman who had him breeds chihuahuas. Her daughter came to visit her with her dachshund and I guess didn't notice the dachshund was in heat. The breeder's prize blue merle chihuahua bred with the dachshund. Moose has a beautiful blue merle coat on white, people are always asking me what he is and if he is a miniature dalmation, even with his radar ears that stand straight up. I guess the breeder hung onto him because he was so distinctive looking. He was sheltered and well fed, but was neglected attention wise, and the little chihuahuas ganged up on him. He and Sable were great together from the first. He gave her her second childhood, she loves to play with him and he is very gentle with her and lets her win most of the time. He is a very sweet and loving dog. Moose weighs 16 pounds.

That addition went so well I decided to rescue a dog that might not have a good chance at adoption. I started watching the local shelters on Petfinder. Last August I found Gus. He is probably a lab/basset mix. He looks like a white lab with the longer lab coat and short basset legs. The vet thinks he is 10 years old. Whoever had him before me neglected him. He was not neutered, he has old injuries to his hip and back that do not look like they have ever been treated, and horrible ear infections. My vet, who works with several local rescues, says he has never seen such bad ears. When I brought him home I could tell he was very uncomfortable and having constant pain, he could barely sleep. In spite of all that he has been a very sweet boy from the start. The vet cleaned his ears while he was knocked out to be neutered, and we tried drops and more cleanings. Finally a couple of months ago he had ear surgery to open up the ear canals, which were calcified from what the vet said must be years of chronic untreated infections. He had to use a bone saw to open them up. Gus came through all that like a champ but the anatomy is still conducive to junk accumulating, so he is going to have further surgery in 2 weeks to try to open his ears up some more. Right now I am cleaning his ears twice a day and giving him drops. In spite of all this Gus is obviously a very happy boy. He gained some weight (he weighs 46 pounds), he sleeps through the night, he has spurts of playing every day, and he obviously loves me.

During all this time Moose was just a bundle of energy. I would walk him every day and take them all to the dog park, but when the weather got cold we weren't getting out enough for him. Gus and Sable would play with him in spurts, but would tire long before he did. I finally decided to get a younger dog who was a better energy match for Moose. I went back to Petfinder and found Odie in November. I got Odie from the local chihuahua rescue, he just turned a year old and is 10 pounds. Odie they think is a dachshund/chihuahua mix. Odie's previous owners gave him to the rescue group because they said they wanted a cuter dog. Odie had to have surgery on one of his hips before I got him, but he turned out to be an excellent match for Moose. In fact, Odie usually wears Moose out, he is a little bundle of energy. He is also a complete love bug and just a very happy enthusiastic little guy.

So that's my crew. I think they are the perfect dog pack. They are all very well behaved and loving. We take trips to the dog park whenever the weather is nice and they always play well with others.

janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 07:12:58 AM »

Hi  and  welcome  !!

wow~ sounds like a great crew you have!

Thank you for rescuing the dogs.  Nothing in my opinion is better than a shelter dog.  They know they are saved and thank you every single day of their life.

I'm Jan~ i'm from Ohio where i live with my husband and my gs/dobie mix that i rescued from a shelter a little over 3 yrs ago.

So glad you found this place and the next thing we require is pictures!!!

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
louiseb
Dog Addict!

Sweet Sable RIP

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 07:19:36 AM »

ok, here goes trying to post pix of my crew. This is Gus, this pic is from the shelter

* Barney2.jpg (5.38 KB, 165x200 - viewed 111 times.)

louiseb
Dog Addict!

Sweet Sable RIP

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 07:27:09 AM »

This is Sable and Moose, and Odie and Gus

* forum20061209_0008_1.JPG (108.64 KB, 640x480 - viewed 112 times.)

* forum20070122_0026_1.JPG (75.63 KB, 640x480 - viewed 115 times.)

megs
Dog Addict!

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 07:29:46 AM »

luvsmile  They are all beautiful and unique!  Good on you for adopting!   angel

I don't believe in fate or destiny. I believe in various degrees of hatred, paranoia, and abandonment. However much of that gets heaped upon you doesn't matter - it's only a matter of how much you can take and what it does to you.

-Henry Rollins
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 07:32:39 AM »

omg their all gorgeous!!!!!!

thud

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
louiseb
Dog Addict!

Sweet Sable RIP

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 07:38:38 AM »

thank you!I adore them all. It's hard to get a good picture of Odie, he's either moving or curled up asleep. Here's one more

* forum20070113_0020_1.JPG (62.36 KB, 640x480 - viewed 107 times.)

JCook2665
Dog Addict!

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 07:53:23 AM »

Hi welcome Your pups are adorable  Heart Heart

Dogs are everyones bestfriend!:)
LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2007, 08:14:00 AM »

Hi

Glad you found us!!!  Your gang is great  clapping

Claire

Be yourself, who else is qualified?

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2007, 08:43:51 AM »

Hiwelcome Great pics, they are adorable!

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2007, 10:22:13 AM »

welcomesign You have a gorgeous crew!  Glad you found us!

Lindsay- Bernie's Mom
Dog Addict!

Has a zoo.

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2007, 12:54:54 PM »

Welcome!! What a gorgeous crew you have. Thanks for rescuing!  woof
dawnk777
Dog Addict!

Looking forward to spring!

dawnk777
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2007, 01:00:27 PM »

They're all cute and so wonderful that they have you to spoil them now!  Thanks for sharing the pics.

I"m Dawn, live in WI, and have an Australian cattle dog named Jasmine, that came from the shelter, too.

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

louiseb
Dog Addict!

Sweet Sable RIP

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2007, 01:38:01 PM »

I love Australian cattle dogs, there are always some in shelters or rescue groups around here. I'm afraid my yard isn't big enoughto let them be as active as they want though.

A.J.

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2007, 01:39:48 PM »

Hi    welcome to Dog Addicts!

You're furkids are adorable!  Heart

God, help me to be the kind of person that my dog thinks I am."
www.shoptoearn.net/aj12
Carole
Dog Addict!

Sergeant Sunny a.k.a "Sarge"

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2007, 01:55:29 PM »

Hi

Your pups are very cute!! I'm in love with all of them but especially Moose!  Heart

Never underestimate the warmth of a cold nose
louiseb
Dog Addict!

Sweet Sable RIP

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2007, 02:02:19 PM »

Moose is a great dog. Here's another pic

* forum20061209_0010_1.JPG (105.61 KB, 640x480 - viewed 68 times.)

ZoeyGirl (Jenn)
Dog Addict!

Resident GP guru!

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2007, 05:59:33 PM »

welcome  Can I just say that all your doggies are adorable but I love Gus' looks.  I'm owned by Pepper.  She's a black lab/chow mix girl.  She's 2 1/2yrs old and when anyone sees her, they think she's still a lab puppy.  The only chow part of her is a spotted tongue.  She's all lab.  I also reside w/ my 11yr old, Jordan; my 8yr old daughter, Kaitlyn; my 3yr old daughter, Hannah; my DH (who I call my 4th child that I didn't give birth to), our betta fish (Baby Fishy-named by Hannah) and 5 girly guinea pigs-Callie, Angel, Bailey, Mia & Coco.   I live in the middle of IL and my mom's also a member of the forum.  I'm sure she'll be on later.  She has a papillion/terrier mix white ball of fluff named Gizmo or Gizzie for short.  He's around 11yrs old, I think and is more spoiled than the grandkids.   rotflmao  Anyways, glad you joined and hope you enjoy yourself.

Remember the past, plan for tomorrow but don't forget to enjoy today!
louiseb
Dog Addict!

Sweet Sable RIP

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2007, 06:38:03 PM »

wow, you have a full house! Gus is pretty much lab too, but he does have the basset bay and he does love the sound of his voice. When he's having fun at the dog park he likes to just stand and bay at nothing

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2007, 07:48:25 PM »

Alright! Another Texan! Maybe we can turn the tide on those Wisconsin dog lovers. rotfl I live in Fort Worth and have a little Cairn terrier. I think your dogs are beautiful. Welcome to the board! waving welcome

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
louiseb
Dog Addict!

Sweet Sable RIP

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2007, 04:21:57 AM »

I live in Bedford near the airport, and work in FW

RacineDogger

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2007, 04:31:05 AM »

crowdhi  Your crew is gorgeous!  snoopy 

I'm Karen, mom to Ivy (a rescued Terrier/Beagle mix) and Rocky (a rat terrier).  Welcome to the board.  I'm from SE Wisconsin, but have vacationed in Plano, Texas several times.

Karen
Thieves who steal corn from a garden could be charged with stalking.
A boiled egg is hard to beat.
louiseb
Dog Addict!

Sweet Sable RIP

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2007, 04:40:27 AM »

My sister and her family live in Plano, I'm there a lot. She is not an animal fan at all, ahe thinks I'm a little nutty

RacineDogger

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2007, 04:54:21 AM »

Louise, our son and his family lived in Plano for several years, but recently got a job transfer up north here in Wisconsin.  Our daughter-in-law's parents just moved back to Wisconsin from Plano too.  Very nice community!

If your sister thinks you are nuts, ask mine about me.  My will states that whoever takes my dogs, in case I die, gets another $50,000 extra in my insurance benefits.  Hahaha  rotfl

Karen
Thieves who steal corn from a garden could be charged with stalking.
A boiled egg is hard to beat.
LoveMy2
Dog Addict!

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2007, 06:59:41 AM »

Welcome to you and your crew, Louise. They are all adorable. I am Nathalie and I live in Louisiana, about 3 hours from Dallas with Spip, Flem and a DH. Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Flem GR DOB 04/24/04 - Nathalie - Spip YL DOB 05/18/02
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster