September 28, 2020, 09:53:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: flag       flag       goodmorning       flag       flag

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How do you hold your tongue and not roll your eyes in public  (Read 4017 times)
Anna and Mabel
« on: February 17, 2007, 06:19:22 PM »

I went to the local vet supply today to pick up a few things and overheard someone recommending Pedigree food to someone there with two Great Danes.  I almost choked myself trying to be nice and mind my own business.  Luckily the person with me had the same reaction and we were able to beat one another on the back until we regained our ability to speak civilly.  I almost panic when I hear the word Pedigree or Purina or Ol Roy.  Is there any medication out there to  fix my obsessive behavior?

How do all of you handle it?
RacineDogger
Staff Moderator

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 06:35:51 PM »

Seriously, I probably would have butted my nose into that conversation somehow.  Before I joined here, I knew Ol Roy was not good, but I didn't know the other brands you mentioned weren't good.  Now I know, but before that (even though I never fed my dogs either brand), I would have been grateful for the "education".  Sometimes people don't know things like that as I was one of them. 

But then I sometimes wonder why my nose is so big.  I can start or join in on a conversation anywhere, anytime.  Sometimes hubby gets mad at me for "butting" in, but that is just me! 

Karen

Karen
Thieves who steal corn from a garden could be charged with stalking.
A boiled egg is hard to beat.
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 07:21:48 PM »

It's really hard.......  thankfully I only shop at a pet store that sells limited brands. I don't think I've seen Pedigree in there..
LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 07:38:17 PM »

How do all of you handle it?

HA!!!  How's this one - I stood in the pet isle in the grocery store one day, with my cousin in tow, randomly grabbing bags of junk off the shelves.  To my cousin's dismay, I stood there, reading in my loud voice, the ingredients - making nasty faces and comments to nearly every ingredient listed.  It's a wonder I wasn't thrown out.   blush  Sometimes I'm a little too passionate.

I'm not always like that - more often I find myself in the same situation you were in, struggling to not open my big mouth.  Sometimes it's really hard to bite your tongue and not butt in.

dawnk777
Dog Addict!

Spring is here.

dawnk777
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2007, 07:54:23 PM »

Well, at the pet store I go to, they sell the premium brands and I often see people buying them!  Yay.  I don't know if I would be brave enough to actually confront someone, though.

Someone I used to work with, at my school job, went from some crappy food (Purina maybe?) to California Natural and was happy with the smaller presents her dogs were leaving!

~*Dawn and Jasmine*~

Jen
Dog Addict!

my girls

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2007, 09:08:31 PM »

we get our food at a feed store that only sells high end kibble, but I have been known to try and convince people to buy something else at a pet store

My little dog... a heartbeat at my feet. - Edith Wharton
megs
Dog Addict!

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2007, 09:13:21 PM »

While I'm all for premium kibbles and often sneer at people buying Economets or Dad's dog food, after seeing what Mabel went thru, I remind myself to be thankful that the dogs are at least eating.  Maybe not what I would feed, but maybe they don't know any better!

I don't believe in fate or destiny. I believe in various degrees of hatred, paranoia, and abandonment. However much of that gets heaped upon you doesn't matter - it's only a matter of how much you can take and what it does to you.

-Henry Rollins
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2007, 09:27:45 PM »

Good point, Megs.
Anna and Mabel
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 10:03:57 PM »

I often do butt in and have even been know to be rude to the dog food reps at Petsmart.  When they  see my dogs they always come jogging over to inquire what I feed, as if to try to take credit for their excellent appearance.  When I say real food, the look of dismay on their faces is priceless.  Then I am compelled to explain to them why their product is junk and why I would never feed it to any animal I owned. 

Today was hard and I really wanted to butt in but for the sake of not embarrassing my friend, I held my tongue.  Next time I think I will just have to say what I think.  The frustration of having let it go is haunting me.  I think this is OCD behavior or are all nutritionally minded people this obsessive?
LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2007, 10:07:37 PM »

I think this is OCD behavior or are all nutritionally minded people this obsessive?

OCD - that's a bit harsh, don't you think?   rotfl   I like obsessive nutritionally minded people.

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2007, 10:17:36 PM »

Coming from a true OCD ONMP...  neener
LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 10:18:56 PM »

Coming from a true OCD ONMP...  neener

Terri!!!  You're OCD ONMP??? 

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2007, 10:24:01 PM »

I was talking about YOU!  neener
LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2007, 10:25:36 PM »

Me?   head scratch

whoknows

minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2007, 10:27:51 PM »

Did you make your bed this morning?  wink2
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2007, 10:35:29 PM »

What is ONMP???  head scratch

I try to avoid watching people buy dog food. It almost hurts. If I can find a way to weasel into the conversation, I usually start by explaining how the food is made and where the ingredients come from. But honestly, I think that 98% of people in general really don't care. I do love the look on their faces when I tell them a feed raw meat and bones.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2007, 10:37:16 PM »

Layne-

obsessive nutritionally minded people= ONMP
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2007, 10:38:23 PM »

Me?   head scratch

whoknows

rotflmao I think Gail has run off to see if she made her bed...
Anna and Mabel
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2007, 10:46:13 PM »

Me?   head scratch

whoknows

rotflmao I think Gail has run off to see if she made her bed...

I bet you could bounce quarters off that sucker!   neener neener rotfl
minniesmom
Administrator

*The Enabler*

« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2007, 10:48:56 PM »

rotfl rotfl 3 circles
janpo1
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2007, 06:34:55 AM »

I really haven't said anything to people that i see in pet stores buying the awful food.  Like meg's said.  At least they are getting fed.  Some arn't even that lucky.

I do however say things to people at work that feed their dogs crappy food.  Some listen but others get offended when i tell them their dog food is crappy and how much better they would do on another food.  They don't believe me when i tell them skin issues, ear issues etc just may clear up when you switch their food.  I've had one convert at work.  I have to think though that's better than none.

You can never replace the dog that you lost in your heart~ you can only make your heart a little bit bigger to include a new one.
LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2007, 07:09:48 AM »

Well, now, what are you all saying? 

First off, no, my bed is not made yet (DH is still in it  rotfl )

Second, of course I could bounce a quarter off it when it's made.

Third, no, I do not have OCD or ONMP

Fourth,  I'm NOT in denial. 

OK - gotta run - DH just got up - have to go make the bed, then plan the dogs' breakfast   rotfl

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2007, 11:49:23 AM »

Since I don't shop at Petsmart, I don't run into food reps. It's a good thing.......

BUT, at shows I hear this ad nauseum......."I've used @!#$%^*&($)@ for years, and it works just fine!

To which I say---I believe that dogs, who are carnivorous animals, require a meat-based diet, that is, that all protein should come from meat sources. A dog performs his best and is healthiest on a species-appropriate diet.

Or something else short like that. It covers all types of diets, and doesn't point a specific finger. You either hook 'em, or you don't.

I've hooked a few.  Grin

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
Carole
Dog Addict!

Sergeant Sunny a.k.a "Sarge"

« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2007, 12:50:29 PM »

Okay, don't think I am weird or anything but I keep small peices of paper in my purse with a couple of websites written on them alongside a short note asking them to look into what they are feeding their dog.

I will just walk up and hand the stranger the paper and say "this may help you make a better descision, please all I ask is that you look into it and then decide" (or something similiar) and then I walk away so they can't refuse taking it or giving it back to me. (sometimes I write these on the back of my trainer busniess cards especially when I see an ill behaved dog)

I sometimes get "mind your business" and sometimes get "thank you, I will" and sometimes get weird looks. Sometimes I get completely "told off and were to go" and other times I will have a 30 minute conversation with a person wanting to know more.

Regardless, only two things will happen: they ignore and throw the paper away and continuing feeding what they are (which is fine because it means the dog is at least being fed), so no harm done or they keep it and actually visit the websites and then make a descision that is best for them which usually I'm assuming would be what my objective is: to feed better quality food because the sites tell the owners everything I don't have time to say in the store to them.

I usually give them a site that talks about ingredients, how to compare them etc...and include a site about raw feeding and home cooking as well in case they would like those options.

Never underestimate the warmth of a cold nose
LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2007, 12:56:40 PM »

I don't think you're weird, Carole.  I think that's a great way to go about it 

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster