December 15, 2018, 03:03:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: xmasscene

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What kind of grinder?  (Read 2933 times)
Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« on: January 07, 2007, 11:13:33 PM »

What grinder do you have for at home? It has become terribly apparent to me that at least one of my kitties needs to be started on a raw food no grain added diet.

There will be a post on why in the health section if you wanna know why... I just really need some grinder reccomends and dis-reccomends!

Life is sweeter with a six pack!

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 12:31:31 AM »

I have the Northern Tools Grinder. It is used by a lot of raw feeders and is recommended by the Whole Dog Journal.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product2_6970_340586_340586

It's pricey, but worth every penny. I have had mine for about 6 years now. It grinds up rabbit, chicken, duck, and turkey bones like they're butter. I call it the Monster because of it's weight and ability to grind up bones.

You can get the smaller model but most recommend staying with chicken if you do.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product2_6970_36989_36989

I recommend buying extra blades because it takes a while to order them. They are usually back ordered. From what I hear on my raw boards, the Maverick is a waste of money.

The NT is the most widely recommended by most raw feeders.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 08:11:34 AM »

Don't have one myself, but just want to say that everything single thing Layne wrote is exactly what is written on the big raw lists every single day.

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 09:00:10 AM »

Northern Tool definitely has some good grinders.  As MM suggested in the other thread, trying kitty out on some premade ground raw to make sure he'll eat it before you invest in a grinder would be a good idea.

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 11:29:36 AM »

Just to clarify things. If you only want to grind up meat and not bones, then any small grinder will do fine. It might be slow but will work. If you want to grind bones, which I highly recommend, then go with an NT.

Also, you might have to try several premade raw diet if you want to see if kitty will eat it. But, and that is a big but, I have found that of my critters over the years have liked the premade diets. They have always enjoyed eating their homemade raw diets however. You can try tossing them a chicken wing to gnaw on. Avoid brands like Pilgrims Pride, Tyson, etc. The favor broth they add has a lot of salts. Sanderson Farms is a good brand. You can also look for stores that sell local poultry. Down here we use Fran's Fryers.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2007, 07:59:24 PM »

Don't worry guys... Oz eats it. The damn cat will get down and chow on a plate of romaine and brocoli if I leave it out when I'm dealing with the tortoise! I tossed him a chicken neck the other day just to see what happened and he even chewed on the bone some! Not enough to really get the benefits of the calcium in the bone but enough to scrape at and clean his teeth a little!  huh? I'm kind of just going slowly with this but the amt of money I just paid for my last bag of cali natural I'm gonna have to figure this out!  thud 38$ for a SIXTEEN pound bag!  thud I think I can do better!

KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 08:05:43 PM »

$38 will make a lot of homemade raw food for a cat. Their diets are more simple than a dogs'. It's almost all meat and bone--very high protein for cats, a little organ meat and some glandulars. And cats eat a lot less.

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 08:31:49 PM »

My favorite new product....Primal grinds and mixes. Grind--meat, bone, and organs, in chicken, turkey, buffalo, and sardine. Mix---same as grind plus veggies. Priced right, and all "organic". Cat people are falling all over this stuff.

Sliding off topic, I know.........

The top ten reasons to spay/neuter were gassed at Gaston County AC this morning.

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little. ~~Edmund Burke
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2007, 08:38:54 PM »

Veggies for cats??? head scratch 

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2007, 08:49:47 PM »

The cat folks mostly want the grinds. But I have one good customer, that blends two grinds and one mix to get it "just right" for her brood.

Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2007, 08:52:30 PM »

So uhhh... would one make the assumption that you are a seller of the primal grinds? If so could you pop me an e-mail so I can go over the price and such of it and try to see if I can swing it for all seven of the kitties!? At least until I get more comfy that they will ALL eat it and buy the grinder.

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2007, 08:53:58 PM »

Um, well, yeah, I do. You can read about them at www.primalpetfoods.com. No prices there though.

Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2007, 09:01:17 PM »

Oh poo! No places here in SA carry it... Dallas only has TWO retailers!  thud

I think I'm just gonna keep tossing him chicken bones!  huh? (J/K I'll figure this out!)

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2007, 09:15:23 PM »

Okay, for reference, here's a couple of MSRPs out of my pricing. We'll compare Oma's Pride and Primal.....Oma's is pretty much the cheapest around, and it's "human grade". Primal's complete formulas are fairly pricey, but the grinds and mixes are priced very nicely for grassfed/organic.

OP:
2# chk mix, $4.35
5# chk mix, $9.60
2# tky mix, $4.90
5# tky mix, $11.10

Primal mix:
2# chk, $4.65
5# chk, $9.65
2# tky, $5.65
5# tky, $11.75

And the Primal grinds:
chicken   2 lb chub    $4.30
chicken   5 lb chub    $8.65
turkey   2 lb chub    $5.35
turkey   5 lb chub    $11.15
buffalo   2 lb chub    $6.35
buffalo   5 lb chub    $13.30
sardine   2 lb chub    $5.80
sardine   5 lb chub    $12.10

Other "cat" items from Oma's include 1# ground duck & bone for $4.05, and gr rabbit & bone (1# for $4.20, 2# for $7.55).

Will that help you figure a bit?

Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2007, 09:21:55 PM »

Thank you much! I actually think this would be CHEAPER than what I am currently feeding... Being cali nat dry crunchies with evo/cali nat wet food as the main diet....  huh? thanks again!

lasgsd
Doesn't Bite!

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 10:35:22 PM »

Just a quick note.

The lower priced Northern Tools grinder is NOT a good buy anymore.

They used to sell the Tasin brand grinder - that what I have.  Handled anything I could get down the chute - chicken, turkey necks, fish, rabbit.  But in the past year they changed models and the new one doesn't handle bones well at all.  Several people who purchased that model on my recommendation had it seize up right away.

If you want the good one do a Google search for TASIN TS-108.  It's not nearly as cheap as it used to be but it works great.
Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2007, 04:01:45 PM »

blush Sorry about not updating... But I actually don't need a grinder... I found out if I hack the stuff into long strips my cats will actually chew and consume everything INCLUDING the bones!  }jumphappy{ I got strange kitties!! It's just one of those perks of bottle feeding them I suspect. They just get so oused to everything they don't act like real cats! I'll keep this in mind though in case I do opot to pull all of Oz's teeth! Poor kid can't gum down a bown now can he!

LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2007, 05:41:15 PM »

HI5
That's great, Hill.  You're very lucky to have such easy kitties. 

Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2007, 10:21:16 AM »

SO I thought I'd update this with this am's good news!! We DID opt to opull all of Oz's teeth after his disease advanced so far he couldnt' comfortably eat a liquid diet. All the meds, herbs and supplements couldn't help him... So we yanked all but his boottom two canines. That proved mostly curative though we did end up dooing a round of Chemo which he is recovered froom VERY nicely! He's doing great!

This am while prepping some chicken wings so we would only have to quickly cook them tonight I dropped one on the floor... Oz ran over and grabbed it before I could... Ok so he can have it them... he figured out how to hook his bottom two teeth under the meat and rip it off and stand on the meat chunks and rip off smaller pieces he could swallow! I was ROLLING!! I can't belive my nearly toothless cat figured out how to gum down a chicken wing!!! rotfl

mmgy
Dog Addict!

Wag More, Bark Less.

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2007, 10:45:17 AM »

Happy Yell

Glad to hear he's doing well now, I know the tooth-pulling was tough.

Hill, he might be able to eat whole chicken necks, since the bones are really little.

Slightly off: Someone on a group I'm on has a rottie recently diagnosed with stomatitis. Would you be willing to share email/info with them?

Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2007, 10:47:43 AM »

Absolutely! We tried EVERYTHING with Oz (Just ask Gail...  rotfl)

Thanks for the heads up on the chicken necks... I'll try that this weekend!!

Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2007, 11:41:30 AM »

That's great news about Oz!!

LoveNewfies
Global Moderator

« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2007, 06:22:24 PM »

Happy Yell

Hill, that's soooo awesome!!!  Brought tears of joy to my eyes!!   wimpering

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print