December 15, 2018, 01:44:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: xmasscene

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beef neck bones  (Read 1531 times)
Kim H
Global Moderator

« on: October 04, 2006, 02:58:10 PM »

Went to the store where I usually get my femur bones and they were out so I got these. They are cut in chunks a little bigger than a cup sized measuring cup. All 3 of my dogs are good chewers and not gulpers once she'd chewed on it awhile I heard Dee crunchy bone and I took what was left away from her--3 bone chunks about the size of a quarter if it were round.  I didn't know if those were too big to swallow, if she'd try to swallow them or be able to break them into smaller chunks so to be safe I threw them out. Just wondered about these types of bones and what I should watch for. Max and Toby seem to not be able to gnaw them down that small yet, it may have been her portion had less bone\cartildge in it.

Mary [deryni]
Global Moderator

Rikku - aka Funk Bird

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2006, 02:59:58 PM »

I have always just let them chew until they are done.  They are able to consume quite a bit of the beef necks.  If you are worried, go ahead and take it away.
Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2006, 03:06:23 PM »

Thanks Mary. Max ate his entire thing. I had him give it to me several times to check on what was left and he was chewing very slowlly and thoroughly and chewed it right down to nothing. Makes me a little nervous to see that happen but it seemed like a much softer bone than the marrow bone. But these bone chunks were no bigger than my fist to begin with. If anyone thinks I should be concerned that he ate it all, let me know.

Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 03:09:59 PM »

I got these for $.79 a pound, seemed pretty good to me  huh?  Anyways, another question, since it was almost entirely edible. I have yet to see if Toby will finish all of his, how much less of dinner should I feed them or should it not affect their portions. Typically with the marrow bones they go so little actual meat it doesn't affect what I feed.

ETA: Here's a pic of Toby if you look close you'll see the size I'm talking about between his feet, he chewed up a piece that size in his mouth and then chewed up the one you see between his feet.  They didn't seem to swallow chunks because I kept getting the bone and checking their progress and they were nibbling bits of it off as they went. This stuff always makes me nervous to watch though because I worry they are gonna hurt themselves.

* toby bone.jpg (71.5 KB, 812x622 - viewed 138 times.)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 03:24:48 PM by Kim H » Logged

Sally
Dog Addict!

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2006, 03:28:46 PM »

I just let my pair do whatever they want w/ them.  Even my little Tsuki can chow them bones down.

I feed the neck bones as their rmb and give muscle meat or if it is meaty enough, i feed it as their daily meal.  I wouldnt know about portions since your guys are waaaaaaaaaaaay bigger than mine.

Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2006, 03:42:35 PM »

I wouldnt know about portions since your guys are waaaaaaaaaaaay bigger than mine.
  I don't picture them as way bigger. Isn't that funny how pictures can be deceiving. I think I'll just cut their dinner portion in half. I'm not too worried about it, just don't want to have doggies with diarhea tonight.

Sally
Dog Addict!

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2006, 04:01:43 PM »

I don't picture them as way bigger. Isn't that funny how pictures can be deceiving.

yeah it is!  Tsuki is only 15# and Corgi is only 25#.  I know that they photograph lot bigger than they are!

cutting their kibble in half sounds good. 
KivaLuver
Dog Addict!

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2006, 12:45:28 AM »

Neck bones are good if they are cut properly.........it must seem I am harping on this issue..........most meat markets will not cut the neck bones correctly for raw feeding....they cut them to make soup and broth for people. Just make sure they don't have sharp points and edges.

Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened.-Antone France
Animals share with us the privilege of having a soul.-Pythagoras
Kim H
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2006, 08:19:29 AM »

Thanks, I had read that Layne and checked and these seemed ok.  Max and Toby did both heave up a couple bone fragments last night (Max) and this morning (Toby). Dee has been fine-she's the one I took the smaller pieces away from so I think that is what I will do in the future with these bones just to be safe.  Not exactly the wake up call you want to get--a dog heaving but fortunatley I got Max outside before his and Toby I got in the bathtub for his so there was no clean up necessary.  goofy chicken

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster