February 26, 2020, 01:17:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts line hearts

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Best clicker books?  (Read 1740 times)
LisaT
Moderator Emeritus

« on: February 06, 2006, 04:23:29 PM »

Your top picks?

What about brands/types of clickers? I know different ones make different sounds, right?

PEACE FOR THE ANIMALS http://www.meat.org/
tessa_s212
& the fantastic five!
Howls at the Moon!

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 07:48:24 PM »

The Other End of the Leash by Patricia B McConnel
Don't Shoot the Dog by Karen Pryor(sp??)
The Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson

What lies behind us and what lies before us, are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -Emerson

Tessa &
UACHX Chocolate Cocoa Mix UCD CD EAS OJC OGC TN-N TG-O CGC TDI
Ch. Onsage Marquetry of Solivia UAG1 CGC
Dega UAG1 CL1-R CL1-F
Silver Leaf-Tip CD UAG2 NAC NGC TG-N TN-N CL2-R CGC
Tusket UAG2 NAC NJC TN-N TG-N CL1-R CGC TDI
http://tessa-s21200.tripod.com
Berner_girl
"...and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20b
Staff Writer

R.I.P. MT TOP's Secret Agent, C.G.C. "Kahaus"

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 07:52:57 PM »

Most of my clicker knowledge has come from classes and the Internet, but I would definitely reiterate Tessa's suggestions of The Culture Clash and The Other End of the Leash, despite their not being strictly about clicker training.  I haven't read Don't Shoot the Dog yet.

DigiKahaus

"News flash!  Living eventually causes death!" - fluffywulfie

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
A.J.
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 08:12:24 PM »

The one I bought when I started cliicker training Cana is "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Positive Training!" by Pamela Dennison!  The best clicker site I found was http://clickersolutions.com/   
Berner_girl
"...and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." - Matthew 28:20b
Staff Writer

R.I.P. MT TOP's Secret Agent, C.G.C. "Kahaus"

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 08:13:59 PM »

Oh, and have you checked out Gal Ziv's site yet?

http://www.clickertrainusa.com/

Complete with instructional video clips of him and Sheena clicker training together.  It's a neat site.

DigiKahaus

"News flash!  Living eventually causes death!" - fluffywulfie

"How ironic... you eat vegetarian, but you speak baloney."  - Bucky Katt/"Get Fuzzy"
A.J.
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 08:23:01 PM »

Yep, I looked at it the day he joined DA!  Looks great!  Gonna try some new things with Cana!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006, 10:33:22 PM by A.J. » Logged
Malnmutt
Staff Writer

Cash, LT and Soda too!

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 10:31:16 PM »

Click to Calm by Emma Parsons. It's about teaching dogs to act right around other dogs and people. ("healing the aggressive dog") and I'm about 2/3 the way through it and she is SO insightful. It's freaking amazing. It's very how-to AND explanitory! She gives you training "recipes"--I'm floored by it's greatness.

Click for Joy by Melissa Alexander. A general clicker book. VERY informative. Gives you a lot of "how to" and a lot of "why". My boyfriend (who I don't think has ever touched my clicker) enjoyed the book too. He really likes know "why" you do things. Helps people problem solve, I think.

Clicking with Your Dog by Peggy Tillman.  This book is very how-to and not a lot of "why". It also has a lot of great illustrations. Very helpful for a quick start.

I started with the Tillman book, then the Alexander and then Parsons. I think for general ed I like Alexander, and for specialized info I really like Parsons. Tillman was a good starter.

I ordered "Don't Shoot the Dog" but got "Don't Call it Love: A Guide to Recovery from Sexual Addiction"... never got "Don't Shoot the Dog". Dangit.

I like the regular clicker from petsmart. I like the sound. I don't like the PetCo one. It sounds funny. I also bought the "I-click" and I use it a lot. It's quieter, but rather than a tongue you depress, it has a button, which makes clicking soooo easy. You can use any finger or body part to click it.

The Other End of the Leash and Culture Clash are invaluable reading for the the dog owner; however, they are not clicker specific.

Paige

(and Soda too!)
If you want to view paradise simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it. Wanna change the world? There's nothing to it. There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there you'll be free if you truly wish to be.
LisaT
Moderator Emeritus

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 05:28:18 PM »

Thanks for the reviews, Paige! I was wondering about Parsons' book. I've read both Donaldson's and McConnell's books but am looking for the recipe-type clicker books. Been meaning to read Pryor's stuff, just haven't gotten to it. AJ, what did you think of Dennison's book?

What's the deal with the different types of clickers? I've seen one for 90 cents and another for 15 bucks.

So, Paige...have you recovered from your sexual addiction?  rotflmao

PEACE FOR THE ANIMALS http://www.meat.org/
Malnmutt
Staff Writer

Cash, LT and Soda too!

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 10:14:26 PM »

LOL, Lisa! I sent the dang book back but never got MY book. Lesson here: Don't buy from a1books @ half.com. Jerks.

Some clickers are electronic and have multiple sounds. Like a ding and chirp or something for training two dogs at the same time.

My PetsMart clicker is 1.25 and my iClick was about the same. I like them both equally. Cheesy

(and Soda too!)
If you want to view paradise simply look around and view it. Anything you want to, do it. Wanna change the world? There's nothing to it. There is no life I know to compare with pure imagination. Living there you'll be free if you truly wish to be.
CLSx2
puppy

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 03:13:43 PM »

Forget the book and just visit this link. The article explains clicker training in 6 steps.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/181114/how_to_clicker_train_your_dog_in_6.html

HTH,
Crystal
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster