November 24, 2014, 01:52:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Del.icio.us Digg FURL FaceBook Stumble Upon Reddit SlashDot Ask Co.mments Feed Me Links Google Bookmarks MSN Live Netscape Socializer Squidoo Technorati Yahoo My Web

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How to introduce a third dog?  (Read 1448 times)
KatMoon
« on: November 12, 2005, 11:03:58 AM »

Yay, it's finally here. Question: how do you introduce any potential dogs? To both of them at the same time or to each 'current' dog individually? I'm a little hesitant at this point because D&J suffer from siamese twin sydrome (once again) when it comes to meeting other dogs and I think it's a bit overwhelming to some.
Hill
May Bite...
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 11:59:58 AM »

I introduced Bennett to Felice first. She gets along with everyone and was really feeling playful. So I brought her to the clinic and put her and Bennett on the floor together. They just started playing no trouble! After about an hour they were peacfully sleeping together on the floor. I woke them both up and took them home. I let them in the door and they both ran past Bruno like comeon buddy we're playin! And he joined in... There were a few more adjustments along the way once everyone realized he was staying. That was when I noticed the pack mentality &  vying for position. It should be pretty easy for you guys, she will be a puppy and well socialized so she should know dog-speak already and be fairly easy to integrate!!!

I can't wait to see the Fila puppy!!!

Life is sweeter with a six pack!

Eightdogs4me
Dog Addict!

My two outlaws

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 09:24:09 PM »

All of mine seem to be fine with new dogs except Boss (well, and Choo-Choo, but she just barks, so she don't count).  Boss is the only one of mine I go through the "proper" steps with to introduce a new dog.  Actually, since he's gotten old and feeble, he doesn't really care anymore and is much more mellow.

If any of my fosters are strays, they are isolated for about a week to make sure they aren't sick or anything, but then if I know the fosters are good with other dogs, I'll just turn everyone loose out in the fence.  I always stay out there to make sure there are no problems, though.  So far so good,  I know its not a good way to introduce most dogs, but mine are so used to new ones coming and going, they decided they'd rather just play with them instead of challenging them...

banana wave Emily and the Gang! banana wave
Lindsay- Bernie's Mom
Dog Addict!

Has a zoo.

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 09:43:01 PM »

I'd definitely suggest not doing it on a leash if you have access to a safe fenced area. I know many dogs can become more aggressive on a leash (like Bernie) cause their mode of escape is limited.

An area big enough where the dogs can move away from each other if necessary should do the trick. I like the idea of introducing seperately if Daisy and Jack have a tendecy to gang up.
KatMoon
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 04:44:41 PM »

It's not so much ganging up as approaching and sniffing at the same time. After that, they usually lose interest in a heartbeat and return to the Daisy and Jake universe where other dogs don't exist. Since the baby is going to be female, would it be best to do the 'bitch introduction' first or does that not matter?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Questions? Comments? Contact the Webmaster